Home Main Category Hunting

Four Elk Down

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 7,456 Senior Member
About seven or eight months ago I received an invitation, from one of our church members for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
This man, through work and a long time friendship with another gentleman who owns the only elk game ranch in the state of Wyoming.
Where we were hunting at there is one high fence that encompasses 25,000 acres or approximately 39 square miles, if I have my numbers correct.
I actually saw a part of the border fence on one of the days, while hunting in the afternoon.
The two of us could shoot a management bull (very hard to find) and a cow or two cows.
My brother in Christ is in his mid 80’s, and about 2 weeks before the hunt, asked me if I would shoot his elk with my big pistol.
He again confirmed a couple days before we left that he wanted me to use my big pistol.
I assumed it would be one elk a piece, but after we got here, as mentioned earlier, it was two a piece.  I was able to take 3-cow elk, all under 200 yards, and all spot and stalk.
One prone (walking, crawling and belly scooting) and the other two were off Bog-Gear with the PSR top.

We had one morning left to look for a management bull.
One the last morning we worked hard and finally found a management bull.  He was in a group of about 10 bulls, and he was bedded down in the shade.  The wind was in our favor, and it wasn't blowing hard.  We climbed a steep ridge, crouch walked, crawling, and then to belly scooting.  We slowly topped the ridge, then had to go a bit further to get clear of the grass.  Shot him bedded at under 200 yards.  He went about 40 yards or less and was down for the count.

I wanted to use my S&W RAAP 44 Magnum, but did not have the opportunity. A lot of fun with a good friend, awesome food, area, and accommodations, and have seen a lot of elk too-Great memories.
My Bayside 7mm Dakota XP does great on elk too!
Picked up the elk meat last week...Lots of good meals coming our way.!
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    A bunch of good eating there.
    ...elk is my hands down favorite venison....Nice work!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    THAT is a lot of meat, how was the chore of removing the animals from the field? What defines a bull as a "management bull"? Nice shooting as ususal, the spot and stalk sounds like a blast.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    You're busier than a pine squirrel this year.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #5
    About seven or eight months ago I received an invitation, from one of our church members for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
    This man, through work and a long time friendship with another gentleman who owns the only elk game ranch in the state of Wyoming.
    Where we were hunting at there is one high fence that encompasses 25,000 acres or approximately 39 square miles, if I have my numbers correct.
    I actually saw a part of the border fence on one of the days, while hunting in the afternoon.
    The two of us could shoot a management bull (very hard to find) and a cow or two cows.
    My brother in Christ is in his mid 80’s, and about 2 weeks before the hunt, asked me if I would shoot his elk with my big pistol.
    He again confirmed a couple days before we left that he wanted me to use my big pistol.
    I assumed it would be one elk a piece, but after we got here, as mentioned earlier, it was two a piece.  I was able to take 3-cow elk, all under 200 yards, and all spot and stalk.
    One prone (walking, crawling and belly scooting) and the other two were off Bog-Gear with the PSR top.

We had one morning left to look for a management bull.
    One the last morning we worked hard and finally found a management bull.  He was in a group of about 10 bulls, and he was bedded down in the shade.  The wind was in our favor, and it wasn't blowing hard.  We climbed a steep ridge, crouch walked, crawling, and then to belly scooting.  We slowly topped the ridge, then had to go a bit further to get clear of the grass.  Shot him bedded at under 200 yards.  He went about 40 yards or less and was down for the count.
    kot
    I wanted to use my S&W RAAP 44 Magnum, but did not have the opportunity. A lot of fun with a good friend, awesome food, area, and accommodations, and have seen a lot of elk too-Great memories.
    My Bayside 7mm Dakota XP does great on elk too!
    Picked up the elk meat last week...Lots of good meals coming our way.!
    Good hunting and shooting. So you used the 7mm Dakota?

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    THAT is a lot of meat, how was the chore of removing the animals from the field? What defines a bull as a "management bull"? Nice shooting as usual, the spot and stalk sounds like a blast.
    The bull and one of the cows went to Al, who invited me on the hunt.  The guide enjoyed being in the middle of it.  Some of the meat will go to some families locally as well.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    CHIRO1989 said:
    THAT is a lot of meat, how was the chore of removing the animals from the field? What defines a bull as a "management bull"? Nice shooting as ususal, the spot and stalk sounds like a blast.
    King Cab 3/4 ton trucks with winches and ramps sure makes loading easier.  Used a Mule to access two cows.   Other hunters/guides had to quarter and pack it out on their backs.
    Looking for uneven points after they get past the raghorn stage.  Certain spikes were on the menu too.  Our Guide determined what was management.  Al invited another brother on the hunt, and since he was new at it, we gave him first shot opportunity.  He took a bull a little smaller than mine at the end of the first day.  His and mine were the only two management bulls we saw the whole time.  Saw a lot of young symmetrical and a good good number of big boys.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    snake284 said:

Good hunting and shooting. So you used the 7mm Dakota?

Yes, for all four elk.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    175 grain ELD-X at 2925 fps.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    That’s a bunch of elk meat!

Well done. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    NICE!

In 2012, I helped get two elk out of the woods.  The notion of FOUR?  OUCH!  Them suckers are DENSE!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Nicely done "goose"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Zee said:
    That’s a bunch of elk meat!

Well done. 
    I still have 2 cow/calf tags... :D
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The bull was really larger in terms of weight.  After gutted, hide, and head off, he weighed 373 pounds!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    In comparison, the cow elk weighed around 200 pounds.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    If you drive down this year, you can bring elk and take back Axis. 

😎
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    If you drive down this year, you can bring elk and take back Axis. 

😎
    That sounds so tempting!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Great hunt!  That's one heck of an elk for a management bull.  You must be living right. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I have been blessed for sure.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Congratulations
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Wow that is awesome!!!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    That’s one amazing hunt!  Freezer space in your village is gonna be at a premium for a while.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.