Home Main Category Hunting

First Yote with the .22-250 Remington!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,977 Senior Member
Been after this sucker and the female for the better part of 6 months!!  Regularly get pics of them on my game cams. The most recent was the other night. 

Called them in twice at night several months back. But, was unable to connect. Since then, they have been call shy. 

So, this morning, while everyone else was deer hunting. I sat a stand for a bobcat or yote.

Shot a female bobcat from this stand about a 2 weeks ago. She came into a call. Knew there was a male cat left and saw him from this stand last weekend when my boy shot his deer with the handgun. Figured I might see him again this morning. 

Great morning for hunting. Cooler and overcast, the deer were everywhere!!  Big bucks, little bucks, does, Axis........and I was after a varmint. 

It seemed the the best time had past and I was ready to leave. But, there were a few deer still hanging out and I didn’t want to spook them getting out of the stand. So, I decided to wait until they left. 

Then, at 7:40, a spike halfway down the sendaro started looking into the brush to his right. I started moving for the gun when the dog yote walked out into the middle of the sendaro and stared my way!!

On the gun, aimed just behind his shoulder, and sent a 60gr Hornady FBHP across 162 yards and into his ribs. 

Even with ear pro on (and not turned on), I heard the hit. He fell over and started spinning around. Then, half jumping and half flopping, made it to the edge of the sendaro and into the brush. I knew he was a dead yote. 

Just then, I see the female yote break cover another hundred yards or so down the sendaro. Streak across the opening and disappear into the brush on the opposite side. The spike, still standing in the sendaro, watching her progress through the brush. His head was following her up the hill towards me and I hoped I’d get a shot if she crossed another sendaro. But alas, never saw her again. 

Grabbed my kit and walked down to where the yote was standing on impact. 

Lung tissue and blood were scattered about at the impact site. The blood trail led about 7 yards to where the yote hung in the fork of a bush about 2 feet off the ground. 

Slightly quartering towards, the bullet had entered just behind the right shoulder and exited middle of the ribs on the off side with liver and stomach contents hanging out about a 2” exit hole. The bullet did well. I plan to try it on deer as well. 

The rifle did well, even for a Savage!!  Albeit, a custom one with B&C Stock and Shilen Select Match Barrel. 

A good morning. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,977 Senior Member
    Oh, the hams of said coyote........

.....have been dropped off at the local meat market to be ground into burger with 5% beef tallow for Yote Meatballs. 

Dog. It’s whats for dinner. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Dog gone!

That's good.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Oh, the hams of said coyote........

.....have been dropped off at the local meat market to be ground into burger with 5% beef tallow for Yote Meatballs. 

Dog. It’s whats for dinner. 
    We tried yote tacos a couple years ago. Cut it with 25% pork fat. Not bad, but only the men in the house would try it. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Tacos might be a good idea. I can mix onions, mushrooms, and cilantro with the meat. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Dude! Mushrooms in coyote tacos? Try some chopped green chilies and some rehydrated anchos
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Not a green chili fan. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    162 yards? Heck, that's point blank range for you, Zee!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    cpj said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Dude! Mushrooms in coyote tacos? Try some chopped green chilies and some rehydrated anchos
    I concur. 
    Shrooms in tacos is morally
    wrong. 
    But then again, Zed eats bugs. 
    I’m really starting to question which one of us has the poorer taste. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Good shootin'! As to the tacos, make 'em like YOU like 'em.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    Let us know how it works out
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Nice shooting there was thinking while reading that you got both .
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    Good for you!
    Tasty?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I commend you on your willingness to try to make a varmint edible. I watched the 'Meateater' guy cook one and remember his judgement - slightly better than a javelina, which is reputed to be the worst-tasting game animal. Your shooting ability with whatever firearm has never been in question.

I tend to use cayenne pepper, extra salt and black pepper, and pork fat, when trying to make unsavory meats moderately edible.
    Well, the meat market did it. And even labeled it correctly. 😁

Four ponds of tasty Yote!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    Nice shooting. Let us know how it tastes
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited November 2018 #17
    Zee said:
    Well, the meat market did it. And even labeled it correctly. 😁

Four ponds of tasty Yote!!
    Please share the recipe of whatever you decide. We trapped a pair in the last two days. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    Good killin- some people will eat anything- deer nuts, yote hams, what's next? Deep fried road runner?
    I would, but they are protected I believe. 

😁
    Everything (well, almost) is edible. Some critters (or parts) are just not appealing to everyone. This is why I'm gonna try every species I take. 

Adam J. McCleod

• KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    Guys Mushrooms are  natures MSG. So it would and should enhance some flavor. Need a Chefs report on that Dog.
     What no Korean recipes?

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
    CaliFFL said:
    Everything (well, almost) is edible. Some critters (or parts) are just not appealing to everyone. This is why I'm gonna try every species I take. 
    Me too!!!
    KMT2 said:
    Guys Mushrooms are  natures MSG. So it would and should enhance some flavor. Need a Chefs report on that Dog.
     What no Korean recipes?

I love mushrooms. And, regardless of CPJ’s lack of taste, I will be including them in the Yote Tacos. 
    Save some and find a recipe for Bulgogi..(Korean beef)....made with canine it's Kegogi...
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Nice shooting, were you calling any or strictly ambush on your sit that morning.
    Just sitting. They had become call shy. 
    cpj said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Save some and find a recipe for Bulgogi..(Korean beef)....made with canine it's Kegogi...
    Wouldn’t that be Deohgi?
    Go to your room...