Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fresh tuna is amazing!

2»

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Bream, we freeze everything we catch except tuna in that manner. When the fish is encapsulated in ice it lasts much longer without freezer burn and doesn't absorb any flavors from other stuff in the freezer. Tuna gets vacuum sealed and never comes in contact with freshwater unless it's in the process of being canned. For reasons I don't understand, the flavor of tuna is altered if it is rinsed with freshwater. If it is frozen in water, it really ends up tasting bad. Several years ago we got into some nice blackfins and landed eight around 15lbs each and were excited about having a good supply of tuna in the freezer and when were tried to eat some, it was awful. we ended up tossing all of it. We even tried it with a small amount of yellowfin and the same thing happened and we finally learned not to rinse tuna with fresh water.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    I had never heard of that with tuna, but it makes sense.  Those tuna boats flash-freeze their catch, then put it on ice just to keep it cold.  It makes no difference to me, as what little saltwater fishing I do is inshore: trout, reds, flounder, etc.  Need to catch some snook.

I've also heard of folks taking other fish, dipping the meat in water, then putting them on a cookie sheet with some wax paper on it to freeze.  They'll keep dipping and freezing them to get a nice ice coat around each piece.  Makes for individual pieces you can readily use.  I don't have the freezer space for that.  I just put them in smaller bags.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I do the refrigeration repair for a couple of seafood places and the flash freezing on the boats is called "IQF", individually quick frozen. Most all gulf shrimp are IQF now as it produces a higher quality product. The freezing is actually done in a super cold brine solution.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    Didn't know it was a brine, but that makes a lot of sense.  A lot, especially considering the brine can allow you freeze at a very cold temperature.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    That is how they freeze our turkeys for Thanksgiving now... once they get packaged, they dip them in a super cold brine to freeze them real fast.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Apart from  Whitebait  the only fish I freeze is called 'Bait' and used as such.
    Working on charters every weekend means I normally have enough fresh fish to eat for at least 2-4 days. Had pan fried fish for breakfast yesterday, fish Tacos for lunch and sashimi for dinner last night. Pan fried fish with salad for dinner tonight and the last for breakfast tomorrow steamed on rice with soy.............then its a change to venison till the weekend.
    I will smoke some of this coming weekends catch and use it for sandwiches and smoked fish pie next week......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,754 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #38

Yep, ceviche is kind of like guacamole.  You end up with the complete range between the original which I love, avocado+salt+a LITTLE lime, period...  all the way to the atrocities that get prepared as "table side" guacamole, an American invention that seems to be taking off all over the world and normally results in gooey green salsa with no recognizable avocado taste...  :s
    Just to begin with, at least here there are like a dozen different avocado variants, like (translated) "Strong", "Super strong" (Both very creamy and the main exporting variants, which is a hugely growing crop lately), "Naval", "Haas", etc. Ironically guacamole is seldom used here, but when made for chips´sauce it's usually with Strong, Super strong or Haas avocados, mixed in Enzo's recipe (My favorite) but sometimes with some chopped fresh tomatoes and white onions added.

We usually employ avocados as ingredients of fresh salads and "stuffed", that is peeled, cut in halves and with the seed's empty space filled with a mix of golf sauce with a drop of (our) lemon juice and either canned tuna (The cheapest, quickest and easiest version) or boiled shrimp tails or raw seashell.
    Also a main ingredient in a kind of "cold lasagna" we make (called "Causa") made out of layers of mashed boiled yellow potatoes (A local variant) mixed with a tad of chile, sliced fresh avocados, home-made mayonnaise with chopped red onion & tomatoes, and your sea protein of choice, usually shrimp, sliced octopus, fried fish fillets, deep fried squid or canned tuna. Put together in a pirex glass mold (Top and bottom layers made of the potato mix to give it consistency), let it rest for a while in the open, and cut it in blocks and serve....very nice!

That's it...Friday will have all these and seafood ceviche for lunch with the gang at a friend's restaurant!

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Last night, I marinated a couple of pounds in soy sauce. I encouraged my guests to eat it raw. Some that have never had raw fish tried it and liked it quite a bit. There were a couple of people that requested it seared, which I gladly did with the MAPP torch to a rare/medium rare-- which they enjoyed. And that was a good thing because if they wanted it well done, I would have handed them a can of Starkist.

I also grilled some up at deer camp last month. My uncle that had never had any before besides the canned type-- he loved it!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    We've got enough left for two meals for Deb and I and we're trying to make it last. We get into lots of snapper and grouper but tuna isn't as easy to come by here, hence the trips to Venice. That last one sucked but I hope to go again in summer with a different captain. Let me know if you want to try it again.