Home Main Category Hunting

Anyone have an idea how many deer they have taken over the years?

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,928 Senior Member
With another deer season a few days away, I got to thinking about all the deer (Whitetails and Muleys) have put in the freezer over the years...with a bow, slug gun, muzzle loader and centerfire rifle,  the number hovers around 60....this does not include the deer I have shot during a couple of culls I was involved in...

Most were does, intended to feed a large family, but there have been a couple of memorable bucks in memorable circumstances

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,447 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #2
    3 whitetail.  All were culls on a deer ranch.  Hopefully this season I can make it 1 free range deer.

2 hill stags many years ago.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    One whitetail. Deerfield carbine.

Four elk. Centerfire rifle.
    One mule deer and six elk. Cap-lock hawken muzzleloader.

Nine of the ten elk were extracted from the field by myself with no help.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    somewhere around 75, mostly does
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #5
    4. 3 mule deer 1 whitetail.  2 bucks 2 does. 

Couldn't hunt deer in my unit for a long time.  Tags now take lots of points.  
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,051 Senior Member
    😳

I’ve been hunting deer since I was 8 and culling since I was in my early 20s. 

I honestly have no idea how many hundreds and hundreds. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    Around 15. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 291 Member
    Started hunting again two years ago. After 20+ years of pause. I shot my first big game in September 2016
    Now I have shot 
    Three Roe deer
    Twenty three White tails
    Six moose

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    I dont keep count. Same with game birds.

I also dont keep count of how much money I have spent on hunting, firearms, ammunition etc......... :D
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,961 Senior Member
    Killed my first deer at 13, i'm havnt hunted since 2016 thats 66 years of hunting, i would have to guess somewhere between 75 and 100, mostly does, that includes 20+ years of crop damage permits. FWIW i have never killed a true "trophy" buck.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,961 Senior Member

I think it's 20 or 21.  Even though I lived in states that were once deer hunting havens (Utah and Colorado) for nearly 40 years, I did not take that many deer while living there.   I never got in on any cull or crop damage hunts, or shot a lot of does.  If memory serves, the does I killed this year may be the only doe I've ever killed.  There have been a good number of small bucks, though.

I've also taken 4 elk (3 bulls and a cow), and about 11 antelope (all in Colorado).

I've never really killed what could be considered a trophy buck, although I have taken a couple of 4 point mule deer and one nice 8 point whitetail.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    30, give or take a couple. All whitetail. Haven't shot a deer in years. I used to remember every one, but now....not so much. Antelope, though.....5. I remember every one of them like it happened this morning. Antelope I've missed...probably a dozen....I remember them like it was 5 minutes ago.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    Same as Mr. Owl's Tootsiepop licks:  3
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I've shot around 30 deer...2 Texas whitetail, 2 Michigan whitetail, an Arizona muley, a few California blacktail, and a buncha Idaho whitetail. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    4. 1 with a 9x23 Winchester, 1 with a .264 Win Mag, 1 with a muzzle loader, another with a shotgun slug.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,314 Senior Member
    Probably around 12-15. Haven't killed 1 in yrs though. Been letting my son kill'em.  I'm after horns now.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    I forgot 3 Axis deer, with 2 shots with my SP
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,150 Senior Member
    No clue anymore, but if I was forced to hedge a guess, I'd say 30-35 total.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,720 Senior Member
    26-----most shot while hunting something else

Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    Living in coastal South Carolina- we have a 4.5 month deer season and until last year, no limit on private land- I have no clue how many I have killed but 1 year stands out, a club was being clear cut and they wanted to remove as many deer as possible- not culling at night, but through normal hunting practices. I killed 40 on that club including 7 in 1 day- I also killed a good number other places. None of the deer were wasted- all were self processed and shared.

Now we have a limit- 5 bucks and 8 does with personal tags and as many does as we can shoot with club tags. I have missed almost 2 months laid up with a broken ankle but have killed 2- 8 points, a doe and a hog so far, be back hunting beginning of December. Season runs August 15th through Jan 1st.
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    9 white tail, 1 mule deer, and 1 russian boar. 7 of the white tail are with my bfr revolver and as well the hog and 2 white tail with shot gun and mule with my 7mm mag
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    I would have no idea.  I've tried to think back to all my deer kills and I keep remembering one or two here and there.  I'd say 30 ish maybe more.

Hogs, I would need a scientific calculator to figure out  B)
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,162 Senior Member
    No clue.  1-4 deer a year since I was 12 years old.  Somewhere between 32 to 128 deer...

probably a lot closer to 32.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov