Home Main Category Hunting

Who has used 30 cal, 110gr VMax for deer? (Oh Zee, TimC, Jeff inTx...)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,101 Senior Member
I know not @ 308 velocities, but what about at 300BO speeds.

Since I plan on bloodying the 16" 300BO I built for my grandson(s) to eventually use (They're still a year or two out from actually shooting one) this season, I am trying to decided on a final load choice for me to use this season.

I (the wife) has been using some solid copper HPs I bought, for hog hunting. Plus I've been loading the same bullets in her reduced 308 loads. So I know they work on deer (2x) at those speeds. Just trying to decide if I want to stick with them in the BO for deer, or use the VM.

All the gel tests I can find online show decent penetration and expansion at the lower speed. However I trust the results of the folks here that I "know" over "somedude's" youtube video.

Experiences? Thoughts?

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    I haven't popped a deer with my .300 BK out...yet.  Couple of experiences I can share with you.  I've given up hunting hogs, yotes or bobcats with subsonic rounds.  I've shot three hogs with subsonic rounds.  Each hog I shot dropped and squealed like nothing I've ever heard before until I put another round in and finished them off.  I like shooting hogs but never want any critter to suffer.  I've shot two bobcats, had to finish both of them off.  One was walking at 93 yards, I put the crosshairs on her nose and by the time the bullet made it to her I hit her back hip.  Had to chase her down.  The subs are fun to shoot at the range but not at critters in my experience. 

My buddy has killed dozens of coyotes with his 300 bk out using supers and love it.  

I've actually changed my gas port back to shoot supers and I'm shooting 125 grain bullet.  Did nicely on the one coyote I shot.  

I do have an XP-100 in .308 and shoot Hornaday  125 gr bullets and have taken a couple deer with it.  Both were quick clean kills.

Hope it helps!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Thanks Jeff. I knew you hunted with your BO, but had no clue what you had hunted, or what loads you had used.

I've just finished my form 1 paperwork for a 30 cal "can" for my BO, but it's for hearing protection with supers, and I doubt I ever shoot a "critter" with a sub unless it occurs while I'm playing with subs and the can.

I have a Superlative "3 way" adjustable GB on my BO upper and currently have it in "restrictive" mode, which actually gives me a  roughly 50fps velocity boost. Once I get the can, I'll probably open it up into "blow by" mode, where the excess gas will be vented through the front of the GB instead of force feeding it to my can.

That's how I have the same GB on my 223 "can host" set, and I have noticed a marked decrease in the carbon build up in both the can and BCA compared to the A2 sight/GB it originally had
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,052 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #4
    I have been using the 110gr Nosler Varmegeddon bullet in a .308 Win at .300 BO velocities and have taken 2 pigs and 1 Blackbuck with them. Performance has been acceptable for a varmint bullet at a lower speed in medium game. 

Enough penetration to get to the goods and cause extreme damge without exit. 

My boy will be using them in a .30-30 AI Contender Pistol at BO velocities to take a deer this year. 

I have a couple hundred 110gr V-Max that I will be switching to once I run out of Varmegeddon. 

But, I have not used them as of yet. I would suspect them to be of similar performance. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Zee,

Great info on the bullets and velocities. I’ve tried to stay more with the non-varmint hunting bullets but good to know on the Nosler 110 Gr bullets works well. 
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    edited November 2018 #6
    Thanks Zee,
    I went ahead and loaded the 125 SCHP for now, since those are what I plan on the grandson(s) eventually using. I figure the extra penetration might come in handy if a "less than optimal" shot is made.

I will be EXTREMELY surprised if I don't get a shot this weekend (opening weekend) and once I do, and get a good baseline on how those bullets perform, once I have the time to go to the range and re-sight my rifle, I'll probably try the 110 V/Z-max next.

Followed by the 125 TMK. I have a box or two of them, and they are the same bullets Corbon loads in their 300BO MPR (multipurpose rifle) load. I've seen some good looking gel tests with that bullet and believe it will work well on our smallish 100-150# deer

edited November 2018 #7
    I let my boy practice with the 110gr a Varmegeddon round’s and slipped a reduced load 125gr SST in the chamber when he killed his first deer with a pistol a few weeks ago (see related post). 

I knew the SST would do the job. But, I discovered that there was less expansion than I had seen with the 110gr Varmegeddon bullets. 

So, I have surmised:

If penetration is your concern, load the 125gr SST to BO velocities and get penetration with less expansion. 

If expansion is your concern, load 110gr Varmegeddon (V-Max) to BO velocities and get rapid expansion with less penetration. 

Basically, if you can hit minimal bone, the 110 will do wonderfully. If you plan to or might hit heavy bone, go with 125gr and get both. 

I had expansion with the 110gr bullet. But, no pass through. 

I had pass through with the 125gr on one broadside deer but a 40 ish yard run. And DRT on another deer with a quartering shot with stem to almost stern penetration and nonpass through. 

Take as you will. 
    Thanks Zee

Damn phone typos. 
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    My .300 BO and 125 gr SST's have produced two through and throughs on pigs.  I am looking to dial back to 110's because I believe the velocity is needed to get the needed expansion.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    edited November 2018 #11
    I agree. The 125gr SST bullets didn’t expand as dramatically as I like at the slower velocity I was running them in the pistol. 

Still worked. But, they are going faster (2,358 fps) than a BO would push them.