False alarm last night but maybe instructive

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Last night (early Thurs 1/26) I was sitting in my living room recliner, 3am, working on a new book chapter. My car alarm goes off and I'm up, and by the time I got up and hand my XDM in one hand, the alarm had cycled.

Sometimes a passing truck rumbles just right and triggers the alarm for a cycle. But this time the alarm recycled, so I was out the door.

For those who don't know, I live in Houston, in a neartown neighborhood.

From my front door you can see my T-bird, the "Great White" as shown.

h2.jpg

Nobody was around. The night lights in the parking area and walkway are nice and bright, and the darn car just sat there and beeped, then eventually quit.

After I minute I realized my problem. This time I'd happened to park very close to the adjacent wall and corner, and once the alarm got triggered (probably by a truck passing or loud mufflers) it reverbed against the wall and re-triggered itself 2-3 times, all by its lonesome. This has happened a couple times in the past so I've been careful to not park too close, this time I forgot.

So I quickly back out a bit, moved the car a foot further from the wall, and the alarm stayed quiet afterward.

The false alarm did give me a bit of practice, however. I was pretty fast out the front door but I did give the immediate area around my front door a quick look to make sure nobody was around before I opened the door. When I did open the front door, I had the XDM ready. Then I saw nobody was near the car, either, it was just sitting there and beeping to itself, maybe lonely?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Thats a damn clean T Bird ya got there Sam. Glad it was just a scare and not an SD situation. Always nice to know you have backup in your hands though.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    Something went thump down the hallway in the night here, as well, no alarm.
    I listened for awhile before I looked, nothing found.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Maybe it beeped trying to attract a Roadrunner. Glad you're okay Sam.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thats a damn clean T Bird ya got there Sam. Glad it was just a scare and not an SD situation. Always nice to know you have backup in your hands though.

Earlier that day it had sat out in the rainstorm we got while girlfriend and I sat not 20 feet distant in the West Alabama Icehouse, sipped beer, listend to Stones and ZZTop on the jukebox, and played hookey from the rain. So the car was nice and clean, we were happy, and the rainy day was dealt with perfectly.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Maybe it beeped trying to attract a Roadrunner. Glad you're okay Sam.

I had the alarm go off all the time and had the vendor set it down a notch in sensitivity, now it's only occasionally, maybe every 3 months. But it almost never repeats after cycling once. This time I was too close to the wall and it got the reverb. Last night after I moved the car a bit, all was fine.

A good "dry drill" at least.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Nope, its either a real encounter or a drill / exercise or a dry run.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Nope, its either a real encounter or a drill / exercise or a dry run.

It wasn't raining. Does that count?

Lately I've become very accustomed to the XDM. Not a small pistol but it has a nice comfy grip even with a staggered magazine. The XDM has a very deep ambi thumb groove so that, left or right, you've got a fairly narrow grip (for a .45) that your thumb and forefinger fall into and provide a very positive grip feedback.

And I figure that if I need more than 14 rounds on +P CorBon .45acp, I'll need to phone in some air support. So that XDM makes a pleasant "friend" at the door, knitepoet's scenarios notwithstanding.