Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

The Secret Service just pulled Acosta's White House press credentials...

13»

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I don't see a problem with editorial comment prefaced as such, and consider it a long stretch away from corporate sponsored mantra. I doubt even Walter Cronkite and his contemporaries could have predicted the power grab of future television news.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Not watched or listened  to ANY news for well over 2 years now, save for what comes on between songs on the radio if I can’t change the channel quick enough. 
    Its been amazing. Apathy is one of the best drugs around! 

As the late great Ricky Ricardo once stated, "ignorance is bliss!"
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,668 Senior Member
    Pretty much!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They used to report the News, then if opinions were aired they did it as "Editorial Comment" and viewers were told up front, usually a small segment toward the end of the news show.

Could have been a local station or national one.  
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    And for those wondering what was said, here's a transcript:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106775685

Still remember it. Still dislike him intensely for it. It was his opinion, and he was wrong. Johnson and the Whiz Kids cabinet were wrong. We started losing wars when we stopped fighting with a WWII mindset.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #67
    Commentators, by their job, are expected to voice their own political opinions.  That's the "comment" part of commentator.

I think that what a lot of people have issue with is the press and journalists - the town criers - telling you not just the news but what to think.  That's the job of the commentator/pundit.  The journalist should just tell what happened. 

Likewise the pundit should not be mistaken for the journalist.  One should expect the pundits to pick and choose the information they relay, along with any corroborating evidence.  The issue there is when the pundit is taken for a journalist and people think they are getting the whole, unvarnished truth.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,668 Senior Member
    My wife just told me some corrupt court or other has ordered that this jackass can get his credentials back.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #69

Trump ordered to restore CNN reporter Jim Acosta's access

edit

new intern training

1   keep the mic away from Acosta
    2   keep the mic away from Acosta
    3   keep the mic away from Acosta
    4   keep the mic away from Acosta
    5   keep the mic away from Acosta
    6   keep the mic away from Acosta

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    It's a temporary restraining order in preparation for a pending case.  Fifth amendment, no due process. 

Of note:  the judge stated that while he didn't necessarily agree with the precedents, he felt he had to use them.  Also he noted that Pres. Trump does not have to acknowledge or call on Acosta. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    It's a temporary restraining order in preparation for a pending case.  Fifth amendment, no due process. 

Of note:  the judge stated that while he didn't necessarily agree with the precedents, he felt he had to use them.  Also he noted that Pres. Trump does not have to acknowledge or call on Acosta. 
    When Trump has another press conference with Acosta present, just have a half dozen of the biggest, baddest, evil looking Secret Service Agents between the President and Acosta. Might make that asshat Acosta reconsider another 'incident' and take a chill pill.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I realize Im not a super smart know it all politician and big time reality tv star business man. But how hard would it be to have a remote mic kill switch at the podium???
    I realize Im not a super smart know it all politician and big time reality tv star business man. But how hard would it be to have a remote mic kill switch at the podium???
    You'd also need a remote mouth kill switch on Acosta for that to work reliably. If ya just killed the mic, Acosta would keep on spewing like a broken sewer pipe! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
    Might be able to pick up Chuck Barris' old gong.🐵
    Might be able to pick up Chuck Barris' old gong.🐵
    Just need the wooden mallet to 'put Acosta to sleep'! :)
    ― Douglas Adams