Home Main Category Hunting

Goats on a deer lease question

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
Just joined a 300 acre deer/turkey lease in Markley TX.  The primary reason is for turkey hunting as my ranch doesn't hold turkeys.  The price was great and the lease looks outstanding.  Also, this new lease is all hardwoods verses the all mesquite trees on my place.  

The lease currently has 75 goats on it with two Pyrenees goat dogs watching the goats.  They're supposed to be moved in the next few weeks.  My question is will these critters have much of an effect on the deer and turkeys?

Thanks for your feedback!  
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Goats and deer are both browsers but goats target a different sort of vegetation. The dogs will certainly keep the predators off the place if they're doing their job....At first thought I don't think they would have a huge impact on deer/turkey populations...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Goats are eating machines and will compete with all other animals for the available forage. When I lived in Texas I was drawn for a hunt on state land down around Llano to shoot goats as they were impacting the deer numbers.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    Unless very well behaved dogs, they will chase deer and turkey
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I've got some friends in KS that use Great Pyrenees as livestock guards...they are death on coyotes but just don't mess with wildlife and poultry....all goes into how they're trained
    This...deer are somewhat selective about what they eat....goats aren't...need to get rid of a poison ivy patch? Get some goats...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    My buddy had some goats he bought to clean up the underbrush. He had one tied up, for a reason I can’t recall.  It ate through the rope then  stripped 6 or so fruit trees he had planted.  
    When  I say stripped, I mean STRIPPED. NOTHING but single sticks remained. He was incredibly pissed off, me and a buddy of course had a grand time making fun of him. 
    So, how was the goat prepared (for cooking)?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,977 Senior Member
    Goats can decimate the vegetation on a property. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith