Home Main Category Clubhouse

Is Anyone Getting an Excessive Number of 'Junk' Emails Lately?

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,742 Senior Member
Up until a couple of weeks ago I was getting less than 5 junk emails a day. It has been increasing steadily until now I have gotten over 400 junk emails since November 7th. My email program can filter them out and send them to the junk file, but I have to go in there and scan the list to make sure nothing important went in there, so it has become a real nuisance. Anyone notice more of this lately or has nothing changed? I'm thinking maybe someone hacked my FB account and got my email address that is only supposed to be available to friends.
JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,850 Senior Member
    Not here, but I get surprisingly few anyway.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,742 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Not here, but I get surprisingly few anyway.
    Up until a few weeks ago, I was getting only a few a day. Junk traffic started getting heavier daily and now is ridiculous.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    edited November 2018 #4
    cpj said:
    Only from Midway USA. Unsubscribed at least 5 times. Next step is to call them, or talk to Uncle larry. 
    I only consider unknown advertisers as junk mail. Companies that I have previously ordered from, joined their website for catalogs, or political ads from groups I am a member of are OK. I just delete them if I don't want it. The ones I'm getting what I call junk are outfits I never heard of, advertising products or services that I'm not interested in.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I think I just figured out how to get rid of these junk mails. I started looking through the list of junk mail and discovered that the "reply-to" email was mostly from the same address. My Apple email program has a special section in it that you can apply "rules" to what you can do with any type of email, including junk. I just created a rule that says send all the junk email from that address to the trash folder. If that works, I will report the news.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yep.  Spam and phishing email volume is up across the board.  It usually goes up toward the end of the year, especially Thanksgiving week.  Just be careful of the stuff that appears to be from people you know.  If you’re not absolutely sure it’s from them, send a new email or text and ask.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    I've been getting multiple emails from companies I've ordered from regularly. Nothing new with that as a lot of sales happen around Veteran's Day. I unfortunately indulged in a few items at too good a price to pass up. But I have been getting a lot more 'spam' E-mails from places I don't know, and they go directly to the spam folder. Once that place is marked as spam, they automatically go to the spam folder. EVERYBODY and their brother sends out E-mails around the holidays. Those E-mail addresses get sold regularly, legally, for companies that sell similar products to what you've bought, to troll you for doing business with them. And then there are the scammer/phishing folk that LMLarsen talked about.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    Up until about 2 weeks ago i was getting my normal 2 - 3 junk mails a day, now it seems like every time i look something up on the web (IE brake rotors) i get mail from anyone that has any rotors.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    I get 4 or 5 - a month.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,301 Senior Member
    WHATEVER YOU DO... do not... and I mean DO NOT reply too one or use the normally embedded "unsubscribe" link in the bottom of spam emails.

Clicking that just told whomever that that address is a valid one and you'll get put on every spam list in existence (exaggeration)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

If its "constant contact", you should be safe; but otherwise I agree with KnitePoet.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I use multiple email accounts to weed out the spam, and to sort everything out in accordance to its importance to me.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,780 Senior Member
    No-----I block them as they come and it seems to control them
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've got my email set to where only people in my address book can get through. Everything else goes to a junk folder that gets purged every two weeks. I usually only check emails once a week and I don't check emails on my phone so I don't really notice any increase or decrease in traffic.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    The thing about holiday increase in junk mails makes sense. After applying the rule I wrote about last night, only about half of the junk mail from the same addresses is going from the junk folder to the trash folder. I don't know why only half are going there, but I guess it's better than nothing. I just find it to be a nuisance to have to go through all those emails in the junk folder, just to make sure there wasn't an email from someone that's not supposed to go to the junk folder.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Can you write a rule that everything from that address get automatically forwarded back to that address?  That way every time they spam you they spam themselves.  :D
    Can you write a rule that everything from that address get automatically forwarded back to that address?  That way every time they spam you they spam themselves.  :D
    That's a damn good idea. I'll have to check and see if it's possible.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I just checked, and it is possible to redirect to same email, so I changed the rules on 4 of the addresses. Will see what happens.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    They usually use crap email addresses, so be ready for the unable to deliver message spam...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,301 Senior Member
    Forwarding back is still replying.

You've probably just made the amount of spam you get rise exponentially
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Actually, there seems to be less of it now. I only applied the "forwarding" rule to about 4 out of the 12 different addresses the crap was coming from, so I'll look at it over the next couple of days to figure out what to do next.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    It's pretty easy to check the spam box and enter "Delete All." Just sayin.'
    Normally it would be, but I have to look at them all, because occasionally there are legitimate emails in the junk box, so I don't want to just delete them without checking.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT: