Home Main Category General Firearms

New Remington 700 chasis pistol

2»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,465 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    BTW, Checked with HS precision yesterday and they can't (or won't) make a custom center grip for a 700 left handed action.
    Also, while Rem makes a single shot 700 short action, they only make it in a RH configuration.
    I spent quite a bit of time on the phone yesterday, for no "good" results.

I checked with HSP because they're currently the only company I'm aware of still making center grip XP stocks
    H-S Precision is completely out of the specialty pistol market (stocks and their HSP), with no plans to pick it back up.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,977 Senior Member
    Change of grip, longer barrels, and some other chamberings with proper barrel twists would be a huge improvement to me.
    I agree!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    knitepoet said:
    BTW, Checked with HS precision yesterday and they can't (or won't) make a custom center grip for a 700 left handed action.
    Also, while Rem makes a single shot 700 short action, they only make it in a RH configuration.
    I spent quite a bit of time on the phone yesterday, for no "good" results.

I checked with HSP because they're currently the only company I'm aware of still making center grip XP stocks
    H-S Precision is completely out of the specialty pistol market (stocks and their HSP), with no plans to pick it back up.
    When you cut your own throat.........
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,088 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #35
    Ernie Bishop said:H-S Precision is completely out of the specialty pistol market (stocks and their HSP), with no plans to pick it back up.
    My mistake... see post below
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,088 Senior Member
    My apologies, It was McMillan I talked to, not HS Precision. I searched HSP's site and couldn't find anything, so had to look at my caller ID and see who called me back yesterday about it. (The person I spoke with didn't know and had to check with someone else and called me back ~10 minutes later))
    Sorry about my mistake <oops>

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I don't know. Put a 16 inch barrel on a carbine with a collapsable stock and the heck with it. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Knitepoet, I have a group purchase going with McMillan for both their center-grip and rear grip pistol stocks.  They were considering taking them out of their que.  If they had done that, it could have taken up to year once someone ordered one.  They only have one mold of each, and the center-grip one especially has stayed quite busy.  There are a couple of companies that make wood stocks for XP's, but that is about it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    cpj said:
    The Striker is popular with me.....because I passed on a laminated model .308 with Sightron scope for $3-$350. 
    I STILL kick myself for passing that up. 
    Do you still want a Striker???
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    The Striker is popular with me.....because I passed on a laminated model .308 with Sightron scope for $3-$350. 
    Possibly, but it will be next spring or summer. 
    If you can't find one, when the times come, give me a holler.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    knitepoet said:
    You forgot the one that fits on a 1911 frame
    Dominator wasn't it??
    It is like a mini bolt or shell extractor type bolt.  Kind of in a league of its own.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    The only other specialty pistol I can think of was the Lone Eagle, and it was rotary breech, not bolt action.

To Zee's post a bit back, I think Remington will probably sell a bunch of those, and hope that the pistol doesn't show up after introduction with any hiccups in the design. If it takes off they may decide to offer a left hand action, too. I wish them well with it and hope it is a success; they could use one right about now. It just doesn't float my boat because the bolt is on the starboard side and I would rather have it on the port side. I'm too old at this stage of the game to go changing from a right hand shooter to a left hand shooter.

As to hunting with a handgun, I do that with either  .357 Mag or .44 Mag. Ruger  Ruger Blackhawk pistols with no optics. Optics at the normal 15-40 yards up on my ridge would be overkill. Some of us don't live in the wide open treeless spaces. I got a deer with a single shot .50 cal. CVA Optima BP pistol with a red dot scope a couple years ago. 37 whole yards from tree to deer. I have Lone Eagle pistols chambered in .308 Win. and .223 Rem. if I need to stretch the range a bit, but they mostly punch paper. The .308 seriously needs a highly efficient muzzle brake on it, and I haven't gotten around to that in the nearly 30 years I've had it. I'm a bit of a procrastinator.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Kinda my thoughts. All my bolt action SPs are right bolt, right port. 

Doesn't seem to be the catastrophe it’s being painted as. Mine work fine. 

Would it be a kinda nice thing?  Yeah, I suppose. Necessary?  Nope. 
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    Possibly, but it will be next spring or summer. 
    If you can't find one, when the times come, give me a holler.
    Do You have one kicking around, or is it a “I know people” deal?😁
    I have one hanging around the house, that won't leave...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    If a person had the time necessary to invest in gaining the skill needed for use, they would be very handy for accessing remote or difficult terrain.

Even beyond that, it's significantly easier to pack, transport, and service smaller arms. 
    edited November 2018 #46
    If a person had the time necessary to invest in gaining the skill needed for use, they would be very handy for accessing remote or difficult terrain.

Even beyond that, it's significantly easier to pack, transport, and service smaller arms. 
    Who knows, shorty's may already be in use...They are not that hard to shoot.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    cpj said:
    cpj said:

Shoot me an email if you still have my address, or send me an IM with the details please. 
    sent you a message
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    If there were enough of a demand, I’d build one in a heartbeat. I can get 700 actions, short or long, left or right brand new for $250. Might be a personal proposition just cuz.
    Being a dealer and having an FFL definitely has its advantages.