Home Main Category Hunting

Opening day

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,101 Senior Member
Sitting here in my shooting house,  waiting for something to show up.
Redneck engineered rest is clamped in the window sill and makes for a  much more comfortable and stable shooting position.
Now if a deer would be so kind as to come out , I'll give the rest a proper test.
It's the 300 BO with me this afternoon
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,150 Senior Member
    Good luck out there, Paul!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    They're browsing their way out to you as we type.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Got a shot at the biggest buck I've seen up there. Tracked it for over a mile, and jumped it 2 hours in. Rifle was sighted in 4 days ago, had a good rest, and an approximately 100 yard shot.
    Had a decent blood trial and started finding tissue along with the blood.
    When he got up, he made it onto property I couldn't follow him on.

Bullet failure? Gun failure (not holding zero)?? Shooter error???
    I don't know which one or combination of errors lead to him not knowing he was dead sooner, but I feel SICK.
    I'd have much rather missed it cleanly
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that Paul...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Here's one of the pics I got of him back in Aug, when he was still in full velvet

edited November 2018 #7
    I thought I'd posted that pic last night, sorry.

At least they didn't have to medivac me, after a rock in a dry creek bed he followed for a while decided to throw me to the ground.
    Made the hike back to the truck "interesting" though.
    Right knee and achilles are still letting me know how unhappy they are with me this morning.
    Not unexpected after barely being able to make it up the ramp to get into the house when we got home.

Thanks Jayhawker

I will say, looking down and seeing a black widow spider crawling up your pants leg, while sitting down for a moment, spices up one's evening

Bummer!
    Be careful.
    Thanks, wife and I had planned on hunting today as well, while I was sitting on the ground assessing if I could get up, I informed her we would NOT be hunting today

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,051 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #12
    Sucks you lost him. 

I’ll be the one to say what everyone else might be thinking. 

How many lost/wounded animals is that for you this summer/fall?

Is it time to do some soul searching on gear/operator?  

Not trying to be a butt.  BUT, you’re on a roll it seems and it ain’t a good one.  I’m willing to help assess the situation and get you back on the board. 

Somethings gotta happen. For the animals sake and I’m willing to help you out. 

What do we need to do to figure this out and change your luck/skill?  Cause this sucks!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I concur with Zee, I would be glad to throw in my 2 cents worth if you want to hear it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited November 2018 #14
    First animal I've actually cared about that I've lost this year and 3rd in 37 years of hunting.

I don't count, nor particularly care about the hogs, as long as they died. I'm happy

edited November 2018 #15
    Regardless of “counting them” it’s a pattern and a result that seems to be perpetuating itself.

If you choose to ignore or not address it, that’s fine with me. 
    If you remember back to when I first got the predation permit, I said then, that if I shot a hog and it made it off the field, I probably wouldn't bother tracking it.

And before you brought it up, it was already bothering me enough that I went back today.
    Rifle was sighted in Tuesday (4 days before opening day) and was shooting ~1.5" groups centered ~0.5" above the POA.
    Today, from the same house, rest. etc and shooting within 10 yards of where the buck was standing  yesterday, I shot a 2" group, 6" to the right of POA.

To confirm if it was something with the rifle, my rest or my position etc, I swapped to my 223 upper, on the same lower, that was also zeroed Tuesday. The 3 shots with it today were also ~2" and centered around the POA.

edited November 2018 #17
    So we have narrowed this instance down to a gear issue. Good. 

Now to sort out the how/why and work towards preventing a repeat with this set-up. 

Don’t take it personal.  A good shake down of ones self and equipment SHOULD be standard operation after an issue. Especially a repeated one (whether you care about the results or not). 

If you can’t be honest with yourself or your gear, we got no business playing. 

We offered to help in a friendly way. 

You found an issue. Now to fix it. 👍🏻
    The issue behind the issue is time. For people that don't hunt and shoot for a living, time available to do it is at a premium. 

For me, the past eight or so seasons were basically nine day seasons reduced to three days so I could take care of other commitments. One particular elk was a spine hit that shouldn't have been. Rear sight was off. That sight has nothing to lock its position. Ive taken elaborate steps for future prevention, but one day to confirm zero with just enough time for two to three shots is a push.

Add to that, an area surrounded by private land or hunting on over crowded public land and the problems multiply.

When I take a shot, I know the chances of getting another one are slim to none for that year. The last elk, was a Im lined up on hair, squeeze split second. I don't regret it. Shot placement wasn't pretty but it worked. 

Being conscientious is an individual judgement call.
    Every other time I've shot this scope (a gift from my dad, found at a yard sell), It's either been to zero after installing (or re-installing in this case) or load development, so a shifting zero hadn't been noticed.
    The fix is simple, That scope's literally going into the trash, and either the NIB Nikon I have on the shelf for my 77INT when it finally gets finished, or a newly purchased Nikon will take up residence on that upper.

My hunting doesn't require dialing anything in for a shot, so my main requirement, besides clarity and light gathering, is holding zero.

This scope had one job, and didn't do it, so down the road it goes tomorrow when the garbage is picked up

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    3 in 37 years? I wouldn't sweat it. I have in the past, unfortunately, regularly hunted with a guy who typically winged that many in a season. His vision was bad (like mine), but unlike me, he was a lousy shot.

He needed to do some serious soul-searching.

You......need to get back on the stand. 

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,720 Senior Member
    Well, if you had used a .270 -----------
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Here's a pic of him from  Friday evening

edited November 2018 #23
    Thanks guys,  I appreciate the candid comments. (Yes Zee, yours too)

Zee, If I had been afraid of critical comments, I would have just kept my mouth shut about it

👍🏻

It’s good. Wasn’t trying to be a dick. 
    If you notice, I listed shooter error as one of the 3 probable causes

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Pilot error....lighting conditions...ballistic anomoly.....gust of wind. These things happen.

I fired a shot at a 647 yard pdog  with my 6mm Rem. At the split second my trigger broke the the sand in my rear bag shifted. Probably before complete powder ignition, I knew I'd shot high.  But....by the time the bullet traversed the distance, the pdog stood up and a clean miss took him right thru the chest. 

Things happen. Good and bad. Marksmanship is more art than science.

Get back on the stand, Paul.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Went back today.
    With the lagging confidence went back to something I KNOW does its job.
    Took the 'wulf to the range and confirmed zero, and that's what I had with me this afternoon.
    Since I was hunting solo, hunted the other stand, since #2 grandson's wanting to go with me Friday, figured I'd leave the does that come in every evening alone until he gets a chance to see them.