Home Main Category Clubhouse

EA-6B Prowler.

das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member

Marine Corps Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron-2 (VMAQ-2) “Death Jesters”, the last of four Marine Prowler squadrons, has just completed its final deployment in Qatar, with the last six EA-6B in the U.S. military inventory.

Four aircraft, using radio callsign “Trend 01-04” landed at Lajes, Azores, on their way back to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina, from Al Udeid, Qatar, on Nov. 12, 2018. The remaining two aircraft would follow in a couple of days (they were left behind due to technical issues).

even in the Land-dominated COIN environments of Afghanistan and Iraq, the type has proved equally critical in a wide variety of unforeseen roles. Many soldiers will have benefitted from it’s support without ever having realised it.A great many times in the Middle East and elsewhere, the EA support provided by EF-111s and EA-6B was critical to assets penetrating ostile MEZ. Both types were regularly deployed to Aviano where they ‘lived’ next to the Brit AWACS ‘Mole Hole’ ops facility and the young ********* never ceased to be impressed by the size of the Prowler as it taxied past! We maintained a great relationship with the crews as they coordinated with us closely for both C2 and EW (particularly if they accidentally jammed our comms or frequencies being listened to by SIGINT!).

Many soldiers will have benefitted from it’s support without ever having realised it.

this

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,779 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #2
    That was my first FMF squadron as VMCJ-2 in 1966 and my last flying squadron as VMAQ-2 Det Y.

I am a plank owner of VMAQ-2 as I was in the squadron when renamed VMAQ-2.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,897 Senior Member
    Since I ran transient maintenance at Volk Filed I had the opportunity to work on A-6's. It is quite an airplane. The fighter/bomber versions that flew out of Danang would carry 24 500 pounders, twice the payload of the F-4's I worked on!!
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #4
    The tax payers certainly got their moneys worth from that basic airframe
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I can remember when they were first put into service.  I was with VA-145, and we hosted 4 of them for a few days.  They were so classified then that they had an armed Marine guard on them the entire time they stayed with us.  I don't know where they were stationed back then.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    Loved watching the A-6s and F-4s during carrier ops. Sad to see both airframes retired; they were both something else!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,435 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #7
    I still curse the fuel quantity systems on that thing. capacitive, not resistive. It made for many nights of fun and frivolity. They were not young when I worked on them. I was on the Pax River Det where they fired the first HARM off of one.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,002 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    I can remember when they were first put into service.  I was with VA-145, and we hosted 4 of them for a few days.  They were so classified then that they had an armed Marine guard on them the entire time they stayed with us.  I don't know where they were stationed back then.
    I remember having to stand guard duty on those planes when their squadron flew in for training. -- In the desert, the middle of winter with a nice wind-chill -- Not fun!

Can't believe they're being retired. :/
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,020 Senior Member
    Wasn't that bird also called the "Queer" for all the gold in the canopy?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Wasn't that bird also called the "Queer" for all the gold in the canopy?
    I never heard that one--------original versions did not have the gold to protect crews from the radiation from the jamming pods.

There were issues such as non-ionizing radiation to the brain and such. A few cases got VA
    disability ratings.
    edited November 2018 #11
    They were "queer" A6's they were built before that term was a trigger for id-10-t's
    Some equated it to having 4 officers in close proximity though.
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member

Some equated it to having 4 officers in close proximity though.

one of each?
    like alphabet soup.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,518 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #13
    Is the Queer nickname for the gold, or the fact that most of the squadrons using it ended in a Q, i.e. VMAQ?
    Overkill is underrated.
    edited November 2018 #14
    Its a stretched A6 with extra seats and lumps. Its a queer looking A6. Again from a time when you could use the word queer without anyone getting bent out of shape.
    Q is EW V= fixed wing, M=Marine, A=Attack Q=EW
    USS Midway with VMAQ-2 aircraft parked in front of the island.