Home Main Category Hunting

Meat on the pole thanks to the 'wulf

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,652 Senior Member
Had planned on taking #2 grandson hunting this afternoon.

About an hour before the time I'd told him I wanted to leave, he changed his mind and didn't want to go.

His dad, wife's #2 son, asked if he could tag along. I said fine and away we went.

With about 15 minutes of legal light left, a yearling came running into the field. With its pace, I actually thought it was a coyote when I first saw it. Then a mature doe sauntered into the field and stopped perfectly broadside.

Line up and launch a 335gr HP. Deer runs off the field showing absolutely ZERO reaction to being hit. SO I, and step-son, thought I'd missed
Go to swap out the memory card in the camera overlooking that field. Swapped it out and started to drive away I saw a white "lump" laying on the edge of the field. Got out, and sure enough it's the doe.
Bullet entered the rear 1/3 of her right shoulder blade and exited the center of her left.
She ran ~25-30 yards.
That's the first deer I've hit with the 'wulf that took more than 1 jump.

I guess I can't refer to it as my, "I really don't feel like tracking a deer today rifle" anymore.

Stuck around while my new processor skinned it out. Left shoulder is TOAST.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,575 Senior Member
    Glad you got one. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,051 Senior Member
    Happy for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Hard smack! on that shoulder. Congratulations!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,855 Senior Member
    Glad you saw that white lump.  Meat in the freezer 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,652 Senior Member
    Thanks guys
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,761 Senior Member
    Cool beans!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Oh, one key detail I left out, she was 125-130 yards away, which is the furthest shot I've lobbed one of those 335s

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    Always check, and if you can't find it and feel good about the shot- get help or a dog on a leash. Glad you found her and congrats.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,575 Senior Member
    Agree to both the above. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #11
    Agree to both of the above x2.

If I shoot at the animal, I always at least do a sweep for blood.  The South Dakota doe I hit with the .375 H&H took off like she had 5 good legs and didn’t look hit at all.  Turned out she had a destroyed offside leg and was hit perfectly through both lungs.

The animal’s reaction is an inconsistent indicator of how well it’s been hit.

Regardless, congrats on your kill and finally breaking the ice on this season.  Sounds like a perfect hit.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,026 Senior Member
    Feel better now?
    NN said:
    Feel better now?
    A little

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,602 Senior Member
    I'm sorry, but, I'm having a hard time understanding this.
    You assumed that you'd missed, because the deer didn't fall over dead at the shot?  Seriously?  You didn't check for sign, at all?
    jbohio said:
    I'm sorry, but, I'm having a hard time understanding this.
    You assumed that you'd missed, because the deer didn't fall over dead at the shot?  Seriously?  You didn't check for sign, at all?
    Not because the deer didn't fall over. No flinch, no jump, no altered running