Home Main Category Hunting

Meat on the pole thanks to the 'wulf

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,070 Senior Member
Had planned on taking #2 grandson hunting this afternoon.

About an hour before the time I'd told him I wanted to leave, he changed his mind and didn't want to go.

His dad, wife's #2 son, asked if he could tag along. I said fine and away we went.

With about 15 minutes of legal light left, a yearling came running into the field. With its pace, I actually thought it was a coyote when I first saw it. Then a mature doe sauntered into the field and stopped perfectly broadside.

Line up and launch a 335gr HP. Deer runs off the field showing absolutely ZERO reaction to being hit. SO I, and step-son, thought I'd missed
Go to swap out the memory card in the camera overlooking that field. Swapped it out and started to drive away I saw a white "lump" laying on the edge of the field. Got out, and sure enough it's the doe.
Bullet entered the rear 1/3 of her right shoulder blade and exited the center of her left.
She ran ~25-30 yards.
That's the first deer I've hit with the 'wulf that took more than 1 jump.

I guess I can't refer to it as my, "I really don't feel like tracking a deer today rifle" anymore.

Stuck around while my new processor skinned it out. Left shoulder is TOAST.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies