Home Main Category General Firearms

Supressor build questions.

FFLshooterFFLshooter MemberPosts: 1,057 Senior Member
I filled out my paperwork for my tax stamp on May 21. Got a call from the NFA division last week and was told by the very nice lady that they were processing my paperwork and wanted to clear up a small discrepancy. I missed filling in a box so they sent the forms back, I fixed them and sent them back so I’m thinking I should have my stamp pretty soon. I’m doing a maglite build from a D cell in 223 being the nominal caliber at 7” length. I’m also using stainless freeze plugs that are pre formed and I’ll make a sleeve to act as a blast chamber. I’ve been reading about what hole size I should use through the baffles and end cap and if I should clip or vent the baffles. I haven’t a clue and don’t want to screw it up since I get one shot at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also need suggestions for spacing distance between baffles.

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,153 Senior Member
    I did not clip mine, when I built using freeze plugs.  It is pretty darn quiet, but I have no idea if it would have been better clipped.

I did do "mouse holes" (venting) in my first 2 baffles.  I heard that would help with overpressure, and since I was planning on running a .243 pistol on it, I thought that would help.

I built mine to be a 30 cal, so I have no idea what size to drill for a .223.  Let me see if I can find my build thread
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/31762/form-1-suppressor-build

I did not do any spacers in my baffle stack, I went for more baffles instead of spacing them.  Again, since you can't test on a form 1 build, it was kind of a leap of faith to do so.

I really would like to do different configs and see if it would change the suppression, but 10 years in Club Fed is not worth the science.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,095 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Are you required to submit a drawing or plans when you apply for the FMITA suppressor tax?
    No

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited November 2018 #5
    IIRC, I went with 17/64" holes in my form 1, 223 can.

I went with a 1.35" tube and "storage cups" on mine, with an expansion chamber before the first baffle.
    So no help regarding the freeze plug build
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I smell what you are stepping in, but no- it is illegal to change the configuration or do repair on your Form 1 suppressor.  To fix or change anything, you need to send it to a manufacturer.  You can clean it, though,

How would they know?  The Govt would not know unless they raided the shop you bought more parts from and saw that CPJ bought a new end cap and baffles, but did not apply for a stamp for a second build.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Trust me, I’m the same way but IF I ever did experiment around, I wouldn’t tell a soul and I sure as hell wouldn’t leave any damning evidence so I say now: “I’m not going to do anything illegal”. But it does blow that I can build the can but have to send it to an NFA manufacture if something gets screwed up. Good thing that I know an NFA 07 02. I’m also curious if anyone has fired a 223 through a maglite built can? Anyone here I mean.
    not from a true mag-lite one, But I have run 223 through my build.  It works great
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Itll all be done and indicated in the lathe. I have no desire to shoot my can, only through it.
    With the smaller internal volume, the maglight "cans" scare me

knitepoet said:
    I got to thinking about that. Aluminum seems like it would make for good shrapnel so I just ordered a titanium solvent trap kit, minus the freeze plugs.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    That's coz you're not supposed to use "Mini-Maglights." 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    My outer tube is aluminum, it just has more internal volume.

One suggestion, put anti-seize on the threads for the end caps