Home Main Category Hunting

Boy scores with a .223 Remington!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,967 Senior Member
I had told a co-worker that I would get him a deer over the holiday. So, my rancher friend told me I could cull one this evening. 

Asked my boy if he wanted to use a pistol or a rifle and he wasn’t sure. His first deer this year with a pistol had rattled him pretty good. He’d never experienced “buck fever” before that hunt. So, his confidence, even though he made a perfect shot, was jeopardized. 

I took both my Remington 700 “Tactical” in .223 Remington shooting 60gr Hornady FBHP bullets and my Contender Pistol shooting 80gr Hornady A-Max. 

When we got to the ranch, I asked which one he wanted to practice with and he said the rifle. 

Grabbed the rifle and set up the target for him at 100 yards. He got down behind the rifle and dry fired it a couple times as this was his first time with this particular rifle.

Loaded a round and I told him, “Inhale, Exhale, Respiratory Pause, Press the Trigger.”  He did and sent the round. 

“Wow!  That was easier than I remembered!  I don’t know what I am all worried about!  Let’s go hunting!”

Yeah. This was his target. 

One shot in the middle. We loaded up and headed to the stand. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    The kid can shoot!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Got set up in the stand and started the wait. 

But, the deer were playing hard to get. Only a big 9, a smaller 9, an 8, and a 4 point came to the feeder and kept us company. Nothing to cull. 

Terresa the Llama kept us entertained, though. 

Finally, at 6:00 with 15ish minutes of legal light left, two does walked out. 

He quickly got on them hem and I told him to take the one on the left. 

She was quartering slightly towards us so, I said to aim in front of the leg. 

While we waited, I was showing him pics of broadside and slightly quartering deer on my phone and practicing where he would aim. Depending on the angle and position of the leg, I would say behind, middle, or in front of the leg. Then, 1/3 up the body and shoot. 

Well, in the failing light, it was a little difficult to tell she was quartering towards us slightly. But, in the binos I saw it and whispered, “front of the leg”. Trouble is, I didn’t make make sure he heard me. He asked if he should shoot her and I said yes.  

Here is where she was in relation to us at 110 yards. 

At the shot, I saw her launch straight up in the air an incredible height!  She hit the ground running and ran to our right. Entering the brush, I saw her pause and then lurch forward out of sight. 

“I don’t think that was a good shot”, my boy said. “I think I flinched.”

”Where did you aim?”

”Right behind the shoulder.  But, I think I flinched and then I saw something falling out of the sky!”

”That was her coming down after she jumped.  I’m pretty sure you hit her.”

We got down and went over to where she had been standing. No blood. I followed her general path towards the brush. No blood. I walked into the brush where I thought she had stopped. No blood. 

“There she is!”

While I was looking down, my boy saw her belly ahead of me in the glow of my flashlight. About 5 yards from where I was standing. 

She had run about 35 yards without a drop of blood that I could find.

But we looked. 

He made a perfect shot on a broadside deer. But, she wasn’t broadside and that’s on me for not making sure he heard me about aiming in front of the leg. 

He aimed perfectly behind the leg but at the quartering angle, it missed the heart. 

Woohoo!!!  I get to eat a deer heart from one he shot!!

Entrance

Damn boy can shoot. 

Breaking one rib the bullet shredded the right lung and just missed the heart. 

Because of the quartering angle, the bullet traversed rearward, missing the left lung but taking off the top of the liver. 

Exiting just in front of the last rib on the off side, the gullet came to rest under the hide. I assume. Because I could poke my finger through the cavity and into void under the hide where the bullet had passed. But, I’m guessing it reinterred the abdominal cavity while dragging and loading the deer because I was h able to find it. And I wasn’t digging through the guts. 

The reviews on the Hornady 60gr FBHP were positive and expressed its capability to take medium game like deer and pigs. I have to agree that the bullet did well. It caused adequate damage with ample penetration. Had the deer actually been broadside, I feel it would have exited. 

The problem is that, with such a small entrance and no exit, combined with less hydrostatic damage as compared to a larger bullet, resulted in little to no blood trail. 

Now, I might have found a drop or speck of blood had I crawled around looking. And that’s sure as hell what I would have done if I had to. But, my cursory search yielded no blood but a dead deer. 

A .223 Remington will kill a deer stone dead. But, you gotta have the right bullet and put it in the right place. I will probably use this bullet more on medium game. I’m not for or against it quite yet. 

It has killed a yote and a deer for me so far. 

Proud of the boy. He did what he knew to do. We usually are more thorough in our communication, but in the failing light, I rushed the situation and didn’t make sure we were both on the same page. That on me. Not him. 

And it worked out in the end. 

And we get to eat heart!

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    Nice work and the end result was a good one. Live and learn. You’ve done your part to get him to this point. And it’ll be a continued learning process for you both for a long time to come. Good times. Thanks for sharing. 🤠👍
    Thanks guys. I agree. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Very Happy.
    Tell him, "Great Shooting!"
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Love  reading your after hunt reports, especially the ones about your son. 
    Well done to you both.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Judgement might be reserved for the bullet. No reservations for the marksman!👍
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    It is interesting all of the deer on the forum this year that were down and left little blood trail. I bumped the guy at Hornady to see what he had to say about my kids deer with the 20ga. Superperformance.

The kid has a hot trigger finger, tell him nicely done.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited November 2018 #13
    This is the first of 4 that I’ve been involved with this year that didn’t leave a blood trail. 

I havent shot a deer yet. Just some pigs. Been busy helping others get deer. 

I’ll be hot after pigs this week on our annual pig slaughter with some co-workers. 

Bacon will be frying 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Well done! To both of you....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,443 Senior Member
    Well done to father and son.  I have yet to shoot a "wild" white tail.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Excellent work!

That was a great shot by broadside standards and clearly effective.  I've seen other new hunters make the same exact shot with the same result. It's just fine, and the only downside I've ever witnessed is a slight risk of clipping the guts on a hard quartering angle.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    It punctured the diaphragm seeing as it destroyed the liver and ruptured the front of the stomach. 

But, not so bad as I couldn’t clean it up. I’ve done worse with larger cartridges. 
    The idea has merit. I doubt I’ll buy a target. But, probably start using the tame deer on the ranch. 
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Building memories, great job, outstanding shot!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Fantastic job, both father and son.  Congratulations to you both. 
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.