Home Main Category Clubhouse

Some good family news

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,914 Senior Member
Today is our youngest son's last day as an active duty Naval Officer (He is remaining in the Reserves)...he also accepted a job offer from Tesla today as well..

Thank you for your service Hank...the whole family is exceptionally proud of you...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Congrats. And please thank him for his service for me and the Mrs.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Sub sailor. Cool! Hope he does well at Tesla if he takes a job there. The discipline he learned in the Navy will be both a blessing and a curse, though. He will bring that discipline to the job, and be vexed with the people who have none! Good on him for serving his country!

Old Navy custom: On the last time coming into port on leaving the service, an enlisted sailor takes a 'Dixie Cup' white hat and rolls the brim, and throws it overboard like a Frisbee, saying goodbye to the sea and the service.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Outstanding! Pass a thank you along from Cgg!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Home for Christmas!
    Congratulations!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Awesome!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Attack boat...U.S.S. Oklahoma City. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Got his dolphins, did he?
    Thank him for his service for me too!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    He spent 40 months aboard the OKC...max time one can spend on a sub...fully qualified submarine officer. He has been on shore duty since...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Why the max time? Radiation concerns?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited December 2018 #11
    More of a mental health thing...Attack boats aren't all that big and one can only spend so much time in ap submerged piece of pipe...our son explained his berth as being about the size of our bathroom and there were seven guys living in it.. On the upside, they weren't hot bunking like the enlisted crew.

While radiation may be a concern on Russian boats, we have the whole nuclear propulsion thing pretty much down pat
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Congrats!  Please pass on another big thank you from us.  He was a man living in a tube pushing buttons... Firesign Theater. :)
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    One door closes, another one opens, tell him to keep up the good work, folks are noticing.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    More of a mental health thing...Attack boats aren't all that big and one can only spend so much time in ap submerged piece of pipe...our son explained his berth as being about the size of our bathroom and there were seven guys living in it.. On the upside, they weren't hot bunking like the enlisted crew.

While radiation may be a concern on Russian boats, we have the whole nuclear propulsion thing pretty much down pat
    I am glad there are sailors with balls big enough to do that job because it is definitely necessary for our nation.. NO way I could go under water in a cigar tube. I have a very (overactive) imagination. I would piss my pants over every creak or groan the ship made............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good for him. Smart to stay in the reserves for a retirement later and maybe apply to go back active if he wants to.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Another Congratulations and Thank You for your Service from our home to yours
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    Congratulations to you and your son. His epaulets looks like he may have been a relatively high-ranking officer, like a Major or Lieutenant Colonel (I don't know the Navy equivalent). Is that so?

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Congratulations to you and your son. His epaulets looks like he may have been a relatively high-ranking officer, like a Major or Lieutenant Colonel (I don't know the Navy equivalent). Is that so?

He is leaving the Navy a Lieutenant...same rank as an Army Captain...O-3
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    I was looking at the little brass thingies on the inside of the 2 gold stripes. I guess it was the stripes that designate the rank, because the 2 stripes look like the Army Captain designation.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    Thank him for me also. I hope he enjoys the holidays and his new job.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    Please pass on my thanks for his service.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member

The rank on his shoulders is lieutenant.  In the army that would be a captain.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Sub sailor. Cool! Hope he does well at Tesla if he takes a job there. The discipline he learned in the Navy will be both a blessing and a curse, though. He will bring that discipline to the job, and be vexed with the people who have none! Good on him for serving his country!

Old Navy custom: On the last time coming into port on leaving the service, an enlisted sailor takes a 'Dixie Cup' white hat and rolls the brim, and throws it overboard like a Frisbee, saying goodbye to the sea and the service.

I'm confident your son will do very well. I had interviewed for a commercial driver job for Purolator Courier who wanted to hire me but did not have a current job opening. I had enlisted in the Army National guard and they said that was OK. Just let us know when you return from training and you will have the next available opening. My basic and advanced training was over 6 months but when I returned and notified them they said congratulations. You have the next opening. I first acquired my commercial driver license then presented my current flight physical and was issued a commercial driver physical. Once I was working and meeting my co-workers I discovered many were Veterans and current National Guard. I asked the manager about this and he replied: Because you are nearly always mature, dependable, honest, team players, and many other reasons.  
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Best of luck to him on his transition and thanks to him for his service!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.