Home Main Category Hunting

Question about CWD

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,544 Senior Member
A few cases of CWD have been verified here in Mississippi recently.  My question is: For those if you in states with infected deer herds what, if anything, do you do about the meat? Have it tested before eating? Don't worry about It?
Also, can you tell if it has impacted the deer population? Same for elk.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,848 Senior Member
    Your state game agency should be the best resource. They should have detailed and specific information.

I've only had one animal I was concerned with here. I get my elk processed, and I trusted the advice of the processor in that case due to his vast experience. All ended well.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #3
    cpj said:
    Missouri now has mandatory testing in certain counties during opening weekend of rifle season. It’s free, you just take the deer in to have the glands removed. 

During any other season, it’s optional, but still free. (That’s new this year) They encourage people to have EVERY deer sampled. ESPECIALLY in counties known to have cases of CWD. Since it’s free, and I’m concerned about eating diseased deer, and want to help collect data, I’ll take every deer in to be checked. 

Test results take a few weeks, depending on when your sample was brought in. I saved every deer I had tested, and didn’t eat it till it came back clean. While they say there’s never been a case of humans getting it, every last drop of meat from an infected deer (if I happen to kill one) will be disposed of properly.  My health and life is worth more than a few pounds of deer meat. I’ll happily let it rot before I eat it. I simply don’t mess around with iffy food. 

The guy who took the sample from my kids deer was ecstatic that I brought in a sample. He said he really needs samples from that county, since CWD has been found there. 
    Holt County (where the place you and I have been discussing is located) is not in the mandatory CWD testing area, but I was interested in doing the voluntary testing.  The only issue is that the closest place is 38 minutes away (MDC Northwest Regional Office) in the wrong direction.  

Maybe I’ll suck it up once in the name of science.

As for consumption, while I don’t worry much unless a deer is clearly ill, I would have a hard time eating a known diseased deer andwould definitely dispose of the carcass appropriately.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,544 Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies. There are places in MS where you can take your deer to get tested. Last time I glanced at the map, none appears to be that close. 

IIRC, only 4 deer have been found with CWD. Unfortunately, 1 was only 2 counties away from us .
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    cpj said:

I've only had one animal I was concerned with here. I get my elk processed, and I trusted the advice of the processor in that case due to his vast experience. All ended well.
    Did he actually test the elk, or just look at it and say it was fine? 
    Strictly talking about CWD, the processor is NOT qualified. It is not a visual inspection. 

Once I killed a deer with a strange looking liver. Looked like lesions on the surface and the liver itself was very pale grey. Myself and three other hunters looked over the carcass, decided the meat was fine, and promptly donated it the local food bank. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,848 Senior Member
    That elk looked perfectly healthy except for a leg injury. I had never seen an injured leg on an elk or deer and did not recognize it as such.

No the processor is not qualified strictly speaking. But he lives in that area and sees more animals in a season than we do in our whole lives. If there was any indication of ill health, I would have sought out the Wildlife Agency here. Only a short drive from the processor.