Home Main Category Hunting

Where have you hunted?

2»

Replies

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Texas - Deer, Turkey, hogs, doves, rabbits, coyotes, bob kitties and just about any other varmint
    Virginia - Deer, Turkey Groundhogs
    Maryland - Geese and Ducks, taught me I wasn't a waterfowl hunter
    Wyoming - Antelope, Deer & Coyotes
    Montana - Deer & Elk
    Kansas - Deer

Jeff, where did you hunt bison?
    Dang I forgot that one, Twin Pines Ranch Wheatland Wyoming near Ft Laramie WY.  My buddy contacted them last year as we wanted to go one more time.  It's an elderly couple who own and operate the 11K acre ranch and they gave him the impression due to the health and age they were winding down their operation.  They've almost tripled their prices and now only offer trophy bull hunt for $6K.  I paid $1600 a few years back for a 18 to 24 month old bull and trophy bull was $2500.00.  too much for my wallet!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
      Am really wanting to get back into it, but not familiar enough with laws, techniques and where to hunt here in Florida.
    For all Florida hunting and fishing reg. go to myfwc.com .
    Yep, been there.  Thing is, I have never been hunting in the US, only Africa.  I would prefer to go with someone experienced with hunting here before attempting it on my own.  I know hunting here is much different than what I have experience with.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #34
    Texas - Deer, Turkey, hogs, doves, rabbits, coyotes, bob kitties and just about any other varmint
    Virginia - Deer, Turkey Groundhogs
    Maryland - Geese and Ducks, taught me I wasn't a waterfowl hunter
    Wyoming - Antelope, Deer & Coyotes
    Montana - Deer & Elk
    Kansas - Deer

Jeff, where did you hunt bison?
    Dang I forgot that one, Twin Pines Ranch Wheatland Wyoming near Ft Laramie WY.  My buddy contacted them last year as we wanted to go one more time.  It's an elderly couple who own and operate the 11K acre ranch and they gave him the impression due to the health and age they were winding down their operation.  They've almost tripled their prices and now only offer trophy bull hunt for $6K.  I paid $1600 a few years back for a 18 to 24 month old bull and trophy bull was $2500.00.  too much for my wallet!
    My son in law and oldest daughter lived in Wheatland from about 2002-2007. He was a cop there and she worked at the school. While they were there we always talked about me going up there for a hunt. But it never happened.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #35
    cpj said:
    Missouri. 
    Texas if you consider chasing pigs with dogs, catching them and tying their legs together hunting. 

Yeah, they consider that hunting here, but I have discovered much easier methods like put some corn on the ground and sit still and when he walks out shoot him. Much easier and a lot more safer. My youngest son was into that madness before he went into the Army in 2006. But then again, he jumps out of perfectly good airplanes that aren't on fire so that should tell you something about his thought process. I tried the dog hunt once but around here there's just too many dangerous nocturnal reptiles and since it was at night in the dark I wouldn't get far enough away from the truck to do any good.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.