Home Main Category Hunting

Cull Buck -Heart & Nuts

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,578 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in Hunting #1
Rancher friend needed to shoot a deer for his foreman on another ranch. So, we set out this evening in cool temps with 20-40 mph wind gusts to cull a deer. 

Set up on our usual knoll overlooking a low draw. After we put out corn, we set up laying on the ground and waited for deer to arrive. 



With the crazy wind, it took awhile for the deer to move. First some does came out. Then, a year and a half old small 4. Then a young 8. Finally, a 2.5 year old narrow fork horn we decided was a cull. 

My buddy put a 168gr Nosler BT from a .308 Winchester under the base of his chin and out the back of his neck at about 78 yards. Dropped like a stone. 



Loaded him in the Mule and headed to the barn. 


"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    Gutted him and let him hang for the night. Foreman will be by to pick him up in the morning. 

    We had important things to cook!




    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    A little flour, salt, pepper, and oil.........







    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    Damn good eats. 






    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    Entrance under his left jaw. 



    Exit the right side of his neck. Through the spine. 


    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,532 Senior Member
    Great shooting and a happy foreman
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,197 Senior Member
    Sure looks GOOD
    will have to give it a try.  Well Done
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    It takes balls to eat like that.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    It looks like a hearty meal.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    :rimshot:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    Brown Bag
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,088 Senior Member
    It takes balls to eat like that.
    that is just nuts.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I don't have the cajones, or the heart, to eat that kind of meal. But, I would, if I did.

    Great hunt, difficult shot. I've seen quite a few botched frontal shots. My grandson made a good one on his biggest buck, at age 9, but I've never even tried one.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Rancher friend needed to shoot a deer for his foreman on another ranch. So, we set out this evening in cool temps with 20-40 mph wind gusts to cull a deer. 

    Set up on our usual knoll overlooking a low draw. After we put out corn, we set up laying on the ground and waited for deer to arrive. 



    With the crazy wind, it took awhile for the deer to move. First some does came out. Then, a year and a half old small 4. Then a young 8. Finally, a 2.5 year old narrow fork horn we decided was a cull. 

    My buddy put a 168gr Nosler BT from a .308 Winchester under the base of his chin and out the back of his neck at about 78 yards. Dropped like a stone. 



    Loaded him in the Mule and headed to the barn. 


    He may be a cull in some circles but that's a nice deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    He may be a cull in some circles but that's a nice deer.
    For a 2.5 to 3.5 year old buck, no brows and fork horns ain’t gonna cut it on this ranch.  He was decidedly a cull that I’d already noted on game cam. Just waited for him to step into the sights. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Gutted him and let him hang for the night. Foreman will be by to pick him up in the morning. 

    We had important things to cook!




    In my best Seadrift Texas dialect, it jus don't get no better 'n Dat!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I've has sheep fries and turkey fries, but never had buck nuts.  I hear they're cheap eats, though.  Two are under a buck.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I've has sheep fries and turkey fries, but never had buck nuts.  I hear they're cheap eats, though.  Two are under a buck.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! I've heard this before but it still cracks me up!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:
    He may be a cull in some circles but that's a nice deer.
    For a 2.5 to 3.5 year old buck, no brows and fork horns ain’t gonna cut it on this ranch.  He was decidedly a cull that I’d already noted on game cam. Just waited for him to step into the sights. 
    I'm agreeing with you, it is genetically lacking but for a 4 point it's impressive. It needed out of the gene pool for sure, but still impressive.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement