Home Main Category General Firearms

I HATE wearing gloves, But....

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 11,748 Senior Member
I really do hate wearing gloves, did not wear any while in Upstate NY last weekend and it was snowing.
I live in South Florida and really have no need, except when shooting the Ruger Blackhawk with Buffalo Bore ammo.  I don't mind it much, but after a few rounds my right hand and wrist are numb.  I plan to use it for a hog hunt soon and found myself flinching last time I verified POI.
I am thinking that a shooting glove will lessen the numbing it causes in my hand resulting in no flinch, which hopefully will aid in a good shot.
I know nothing of shooting gloves. Want to only dampen recoil in my shooting hand only.  Is there such a thing?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    PAST makes a glove that is ambidextrous (Can be used on either hand as it has pads on both sides.). Nice glove, too. I have one of the older PAST pair of gloves, and they DO make a great deal of difference in absorbing some of the recoil of hard recoiling pistols. Give one a try. You shouldn't be disappointed.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    I searched for the same solution dealing with my SBH Casull and .445 Super Mag. 

My issue wirh adding padding to the palm is reduction in grip. 

The other problem I had was finding shooting gloves without fingers. I hate touching triggers with gloves on. 

I finally found some fingerless “Tactical” gloves that had enough padding to do what I need. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    Zee do you remember the manufacturer? 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,340 Senior Member
    I have the P.A.S.T fingerless gloves as well and they work wonders. Not sure they are still made though, can't find any for sale.

Sako
    sakodude said:
    I have the P.A.S.T fingerless gloves as well and they work wonders. Not sure they are still made though, can't find any for sale.

Sako
    That was my issue. I knew they existed before. But, couldn’t find any. 
    Diver43 said:
    Zee do you remember the manufacturer? 
    I’ll try to find them. 
    I have no experience, but these might be an option. 

I’d cut a width wide slit in the index finger around the first or second knuckle (comfort depending) to allow the finger pad to contact the trigger for better trigger dexterity. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2135642566/caldwell-ultimate-shooting-gloves-polyester-and-spandex
    Found mine. Guess they aren’t “Tactical”. Don’t know what they were made for.  But, they work great!!!

edited December 2018 #10
    Turns out, they are weightlifting gloves. 

Here is a similar pair of “work” gloves with anti-vibe gel for padding by the same company. 

https://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Split-Leather-Fingerless-Anti-Vibe-Gloves/dp/B0043CFPIS/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1545110676&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=valeo+gloves

I’m sure you could go to a local sports store and find similar that suit your needs.  Or maybe a quality hardware store. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    For my 629 I have to wear a glove on my support hand to provide some cushioning where the back of the trigger guard smashes into the finger on recoil.  I usually just wear a Mechanix brand glove.  I think its from the M-Pact  line and has D3O padding in the palm as well. The grip on the gun is still pliant enough that I dont need a glove on my strong hand for dampening recoil.  Maybe if I start pushing things with the .44 I might, but not yet.
    Thanks, that gives me some ideas.
    Never thought of weight lifting gloves

The P.A.S.T.s look perfect but have been discontinued.

• North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 358 Member
    I also use a weight lifting glove when shooting my 629. Mine also has a wrap-around spandex/velcro wrist brace that helps with the jolt.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Very few factory grips (if any) are comfortable with magnum loads (besides .357).

I put Pachmayrs on my Blackhawk .45 Colt knowing I would be firing Ruger only loads outta it on occasion. They aren't purty and take away from the looks. However, they make it a lot more pleasant to shoot, even with top end tier 1&2 loads. Your firing tier 3 loads and need something to tame the felt recoil.

My 629 Classic came with Hogue Mono-grips and they are wonderful. Oh you still know you are firing a .44 Magnum, but man they make a big difference.

I guess another alternative is to buy some rubber recoil absorbing grips and just swap them out before firing the heavy stuff.

Shootin should be fun, not painful to the point you dread pulling the trigger again.

So if the gloves don't work for it is something to consider.    

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I'm sure you already know this, but don't lock your elbow, use a firm hold and let your arm rise some.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Good ideas BC.  I have no problem with most of the .45Cold loads except those Buffalo heavy loads.  They are harder to shoot than the .500 that Jermanator brought to the SE Shoot a couple years ago.
    The gun scribes used to tell us during 'Dirty Harry' .44 Magnum craze many new S&W model 29s were sold back to gun shops before even one box of .44 magnum ammo was fired from them.

Those nice factory grips filled the hand nicely, but firing full house .44 mags would sure sting your hand.

Shame more didn't fire .44 Spls or the target .44 mag loads and maybe they would have kept them and figured out different grips would have helped dampen the felt recoil.

You can still find the 'Vintage' model 29s with the firing pin in the hammer and no stupid lock hole if you are willing to pay and arm and leg for one.

It's true, they don't makem like they used to.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,833 Senior Member
    At certain times of the year here, gloves are a shooting necessity.❄

They will help with felt recoil to a point. After that point is reached, might be too many heavy loads are being fired.

Neoprene have worked ok for me.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,516 Senior Member
    I used to shoot a lot of heavy .357 Mag loads in a 4" 686, I had good results with leather golf gloves.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull