Home Main Category General Firearms

Today's scopes, is there really a measurable difference

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,427 Senior Member
    OK I'm learning more about what makes others tic here. This is good stuff for me. I don't claim to be right or know all, and I feel the rest of you feel about the same. These kinds of threads are good not only for those participating but there's a lot of people that don't comment but read it. They learn from our haggling. I have more to talk about but I'm getting this thread off course. So I started another thread about base line perspective about what you want or need in a scope. So go there and leave some comments if you will.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I also have a pair of Steiners and if anything ever happened to them, I would get another pair exactly like them.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,157 Senior Member
    Like Wambli, I used cheap bino's for many years.  My buddy got a pair Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 B/GA eye focused binoculars.  I couldn't get over how good they were.  Mind blowing optics with no focus ring, rubber armored and very light weight!  Still the priced out of my range.  I was able to get a pair of East German Zeiss Jena 7x40 EDF bino's in the early 90's for around $300.  Like my buddies no focus ring, they're built like a tank with heavy rubber armor with optics and clarity second to none.  Only drawback, heavy and bit bulky.  Having said that, I used these for 25 years and still have them.  Zeiss discontinued my buddies 8x30 B/GA in the early mid 90's.

Around 2010 Zeiss made a special run of the Dialyt 8x30 B/GA binos for around $1100.  With dealer discount I was in for around $950ish.  I love these bino's and they go on every hunt with me.  My wife used my old EDF's and loves them.

I know optics have gotten much better over the past decade.  Like high end scopes, once you have and use one, the middle of the shelf stuff though good just doesn't compare.  I'm back to middle of the shelf scopes such as Leupold's VX series.  Built with quality with crisp clear optics and clarity.  Middle of the shelf scopes offer me everything I need.  I depend too much on my bino's to go back to middle shelf.

Zeiss 7X40 EDF's on the left and 8X30 B'GA's on the right

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21