Home Main Category General Firearms

Crescent Arms Ten Star SxS

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,962 Senior Member
My son always loved an interesting project. After he past away I went through his things and found one of his projects. Its a Crescent Arms exposed hammer 20 ga SxS, action and barrel only. The barrel has been cut to 18 inches and front and rear sights were installed. Strange thing is the rear sight is a v type with a cut out arrow pointing to the bottom of the v notch. The front sight is two rings in a dove tail ramp. I've never seen anything like it. I thought it would be fun to finish his project until I tried to find parts. Some 16 and 12 gauge parts are available but no 20 gauge. I need a butt stock and complete fore end. Bob's stocks used to make a replacement but they have discontinued them. They still make a 12 gauge butt stock. I've been looking two months now with no luck. Any ideas? 
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,549 Senior Member
    Modify the 12ga parts???
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Numrich has the 20 gauge forend and hardware,but no buttstocks.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,983 Senior Member
    Try Jack First Gun Parts, 605-343-8481 I have been able to get parts from them when no one else had them.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Also, did you try Boyd's or Richards Microfit? They make stocks for so many guns they may make one for that. Also, what early said might be a plan.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,962 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #7
    Thanks guys, I've been to all these sites. Richards doesn't make shotgun stocks, ebay doesn't have exposed hammer parts, Boyd's doesn't make double barrel Crescent parts. I thought about starting with a 12/16 gauge butt stock but I'm unsure or the internal dimensions. If the inside dimensions are too wide it won't work. If the internal dimensions are the same I wouldn't mid whittling one down to fit. 
    My research shows this company made shotguns for at least 71 companies from 1897 to 1931.
    They began production of the 20 gauge in 1905. The serial number on this one indicates it was built in 1905 and was an early production  for Kingsland Gun Co.'s and was the Ten Star model. It has conical breech balls, coil springs and a Deeley & Edge snap forend. I also noticed that in 1904 Sears advertised a "Factory Globe Sight", very interesting. There were over 600,000 made. Now if I could find some specs on the butt stock I could work on making a stock!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,213 Senior Member
    The internals of a shotgun stock are very different.  But with mass-produced guns like the Crescent quite possible that all stocks are pretty much the same.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Since the buttstock seems to be the sticking point as to finding one, there is one option. Get a buttstock blank for a double barrel shotgun and inlet the buttstock to fit the action, and then remove the excess wood and finish the stock.

Here's links to two places that have nice gunstock blanks.

'Farming out' that buttstock reproduction would be expensive.

― Douglas Adams
    Just checked and Dixie Gun Works and they have some half stocks that fit rifles and shotguns. No pictures, though, so you'll have to check the stock description, and maybe give them a call and get them to give further description and measurements  of the HALF STOCK blanks they carry. I checked a few of the halfstock blanks and they may fit your double barrel action. Since I have no dimensions of your action it's a guess on my part.

― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,511 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #12
    I really miss the days when Reinhart Fajen was in business...they could whip out an inletted blank in a few days. They kept patterns for hundreds of guns..

Years back they did a 90% stock and foreend for an Ithaca SxS for me for less than $100.00

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I really miss the days when Reinhart Fajen was in business...they could whip out an inletted blank in a few days. They kept patterns for hundreds of guns..

Years back they did a 90% stock and foreend for an Ithaca SxS for me for less than $100.00

That’s a very good deal. I stay away from most stock work because I’d be backed up for years if I took on those types of jobs too. 
    I remember back in the 1990's when you had a LOT of choices on semi finished blanks for most any rifle and shotgun you could mention. Those days are long gone now. I bought two in mid 90's for SxS double shotguns and used them for a couple of rolling block rifles I put together from Navy Arms actions. They worked great. I also have a half dozen stock blanks from same company that are suitable for .22 rimfire or similar sized rifles that are shaped but not inletted for barrel/action channel. Company I bought them from has been out of business since about 2003.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Jayhawker said:

Or even Bishop, both were in or around Sedalia Mo.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Freezer said:
    Thanks guys, I've been to all these sites. Richards doesn't make shotgun stocks, ebay doesn't have exposed hammer parts, Boyd's doesn't make double barrel Crescent parts. I thought about starting with a 12/16 gauge butt stock but I'm unsure or the internal dimensions. If the inside dimensions are too wide it won't work. If the internal dimensions are the same I wouldn't mid whittling one down to fit. 
    Do you demand it be wood? or could it be plastic or synthetic? If so maybe somebody with a big 3D printer could make you one. My IT friend has one and makes all kinds of neat stuff.
    tennmike said:
    Just checked and Dixie Gun Works and they have some half stocks that fit rifles and shotguns. No pictures, though, so you'll have to check the stock description, and maybe give them a call and get them to give further description and measurements  of the HALF STOCK blanks they carry. I checked a few of the halfstock blanks and they may fit your double barrel action. Since I have no dimensions of your action it's a guess on my part.

That sounds like the ticket..
    I'm going to contact Gun Stocks .com They are the company that makes the stock for the 12 gauge and discontinued the 20 gauge. They should still have the master blank and dimensions. 

I like the idea of the 3-D printer but I don't have anything to copy from or dimensions . Forming a stock from scratch is something I've only done with BB guns and I'm a little apprehensive about. The other parts I need are the forend, forend latch (I can get that at Numrich) and the forend pivot. That is also hard to find but I can has a friend make on of those using a 12 of 16 as a pattern.+