Home Main Category General Firearms

I got delayed!

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,932 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in General Firearms #1
So I'm at Runnings last night trying to buy my RIA 1911, which by the way was $369.99, and not $400!   The gentleman in front of me is buying a shotgun and there's only 1 clerk qualified to sell guns.   The clerk pushes send on the background check, and we wait 10 minutes!   And he's delayed.   He tells us this is the 5th gun he's bought this year.  The clerk, probably in his 70's grumbles about the system, and starts with me.   After all the forms are filled out, he pushes send, and I'm delayed immediately!    But this is the first gun I've bought this year.

More grumbling....and he claims the system is 'backed up' over the holiday.   What a bummer!  My fiancé instantly is checking me for ties to ISIS!   :D

For those not aware, Runnings is a Fleet/Farm store that's pretty big in South Dakota and Minnesota.   Great outdoor supplies and overall a pretty good store.   They bought a lot of the old Walmart buildings when they went to Super Walmarts.

Anyways, not going to get it for a few days.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Lots of people buying firearms for Christmas, I guess. Hope the delay isn't long!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I don't know where you are but here in Texas and at least most of the south if you have a current carry permit there's no background check. I can go in, show my permit and then the only delay is filling out the 4473 then check out and your good to go. Of course in most of the box stores they don't even trust you to carry your own gun out, they carry it for you and give it to you out the door. Silly ain't it?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Florida requires the background check even with a carry permit.  Only difference is having a carry permit allows you to skip the 3 day waiting period.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,062 Senior Member
    Fleet Farm rocks! But to some stupid company policy, they won't sell guns to me, since I live in Florida. I understand the pistol part, but not even rifles or shotguns!
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,777 Senior Member
    bellcat said:
    So I'm at Runnings last night trying to buy my RIA 1911, which by the way was $369.99, and not $400!   The gentleman in front of me is buying a shotgun and there's only 1 clerk qualified to sell guns.   The clerk pushes send on the background check, and we wait 10 minutes!   And he's delayed.   He tells us this is the 5th gun he's bought this year.  The clerk, probably in his 70's grumbles about the system, and starts with me.   After all the forms are filled out, he pushes send, and I'm delayed immediately!    But this is the first gun I've bought this year.

More grumbling....and he claims the system is 'backed up' over the holiday.   What a bummer!  My fiancé instantly is checking me for ties to ISIS!   :D

For those not aware, Runnings is a Fleet/Farm store that's pretty big in South Dakota and Minnesota.   Great outdoor supplies and overall a pretty good store.   They bought a lot of the old Walmart buildings when they went to Super Walmarts.

So, is your fiancé perplexed about this still?  Does he think you're with ISIS? Is he still willing to remained engaged to you?  If he still wants to marry you,  you should thank your lucky stars.

https://writingexplained.org/fiance-vs-fiancee-difference
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Ugghh...that sucks.  Great sign for the economy, but grappy for the gun owner.

Oh, and I love Runnings!  Great outdoor selection and good prices.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Holiday rush.  Its a pain,  but be happy the 2A is obviously alive and active if that many people are buying guns!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Pegasus said:
    bellcat said:

So, is your fiancé perplexed about this still?  Does he think you're with ISIS? Is he still willing to remained engaged to you?  If he still wants to marry you,  you should thank your lucky stars.

Yea.....she's going to stick it out with me! She and her girls like my dog!
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 790 Senior Member
    Runnings has been having some really good prices lately. They had some Amend 2 AR15 mags on sale for $4.99 each. Only thing that bugs me is the ammo in the MN stores is in a locked glass case, Brookings store it’s wide open. 
    Florida requires the background check even with a carry permit.  Only difference is having a carry permit allows you to skip the 3 day waiting period.
    Wow! I thought we in Texas modeled ourselves after Florida since Florida was first and they inspired us to pass the legislation. Anyway, at least you don't have to endure the worthless stupid waiting period.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited December 2018 #12
    Pegasus said:
    bellcat said:

Er wait a minute Peg, I didn't know you took over for Sam!

Ah I see now, you're the new Grammar Master!

French Grammar at that!

LOLOLOL!

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Wow! I thought we in Texas modeled ourselves after Florida since Florida was first and they inspired us to pass the legislation. Anyway, at least you don't have to endure the worthless stupid waiting period.
    It's usually no more than a minor inconvenience and allows me to stick around a few extra minutes in the gun store and drool over other guns.   :D
    snake284 said:
    Pegasus said:
    bellcat said:

French Grammar at that!

LOLOLOL!

Who is Sam?  Anyway, French is one of the languages in which I am fluent, so that mistake jumped in my face.  I got snarky remarks in Paris when I pointed out spelling mistakes in the menu of a fancy restaurant.  Same thing happened in Hamburg some years back.  You're probably right, nobody likes an American pointing out the spelling mistakes in their own language.

At any rate, we don't get this delayed stuff in Texas, well, as long at you have a valid CHL, or whatever they changed the name to recently.  I just pulled mine out, it says License To Carry, so LTC. Or as I call it, my Get Out of Traffic Ticket Card (GOTTC).

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    Pointing out mistakes on French menus? Does French saliva enhance or detract from the finished product?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,183 Senior Member
    "Sam" was a member here several years ago, who has passed on. A unique individual, he was always pointing out spelling and grammar mistakes. "Loose" vs "Lose" drove him nuts - and drives me nuts too!.
    I've seen spelling mistakes on Greek menus...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited December 2018 #17
    He was here when Sam was
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

I wish that Texas would let me waive in with my CT permit.  Oddly enough, Texas does grant reciprocity?  Thus, I’ll keep my CT permit until I have time to sit through another course (wish I could do it all online).
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Pegasus said:
    bellcat said:

French Grammar at that!

LOLOLOL!

Now that’s funny!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Both instructors I've used for permits have been great. The class is usually more fun and entertaining than it is a pain. Check around talk to people at gun shops etc and find a popular instructor. This is one time when a popular instructor is a good option. That means he/she is a people person and the class will usually be informative and a good experience. That's been my experience here anyway.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #21
    snake284 said:
    Both instructors I've used for permits have been great. The class is usually more fun and entertaining than it is a pain. Check around talk to people at gun shops etc and find a popular instructor. This is one time when a popular instructor is a good option. That means he/she is a people person and the class will usually be informative and a good experience. That's been my experience here anyway.
    My main issue is finding time to take the class.  When my wife is off for the summer, I should be able to pull it off.

The last time that I took the shooting part of the TX test, I only had 5 holes in my target. 4 shots slightly low of the silver dollar sized hole dead center on the target.  :-) 

I wish that I could still shoot like that.
    zorba said:
    "Sam" was a member here several years ago, who has passed on. A unique individual, he was always pointing out spelling and grammar mistakes. "Loose" vs "Lose" drove him nuts - and drives me nuts too!.
    I've seen spelling mistakes on Greek menus...

Even though I have been here for quite a while, through at least two crashes and rebirths of this forum, I don't remember Sam at all.  Age may be one reason for this failing, but I suspect it's more to do with my not participating here at anywhere near the degree some of the current denizens display.

Also, Snake's analogy is wrong; I don't spend time pointing out spelling mistakes for two reasons:  1- it's pointless and I would be forever posting here because many of you have a bad writing problem, but this is a firearms forum, not an English forum, and 2- I make plenty of typos of my own.

The reason I pointed this one out is that essentially, Bellcat said that his boyfriend was grumbling and checking on Bellcat for ISIS connections.  Like most of you, I had assumed Bellcat's gender from his prior postings and was taken aback by the possibility I had been wrong all along and that Bellcat had just signaled to us that he/she/it was either female or part of the LGBTQWERTY movement.

We live in a very mixed-up world and I feel like an ice cube in a properly-shaken martini.  Do remember that a proper martini is made with Gin, not that Russian concoction.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,183 Senior Member
    Pegasus said:
    Also, Snake's analogy is wrong; I don't spend time pointing out spelling mistakes for two reasons:  1- it's pointless and I would be forever posting here because many of you have a bad writing problem, but this is a firearms forum,
    Snort!
    Spelling mistakes can be minimized by using Firefox - but it seems the whole world is in love with Chrome, so whatcha gonna do? ;)
    With that said, "loose" and "lose" drives me bat scat! And no spel chek is gonna find that.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    So which was the greater shock in your eyes, that he might have a boyfriend or that you could have "possibly" made a mistake.
     :o 

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    So which was the greater shock in your eyes, that he might have a boyfriend or that you could have "possibly" made a mistake.

Well, seeing as according to my wife I make mistakes all the time, I will have to confess that discovering Bellcat is a girl was the shock.  Nothing in his prior writings had indicated that, not that there's anything wrong with that.  As a long time rifle competitor, I am very used to and quite comfortable with ladies having the same marksmanship passion as I, and I'm have had my ash handed to me many times by lady shooters, though seeing their smile takes away the sting of losing.  Rifle marksmanship is truly a unique sport in which men and women (and people like Bellcat) compete on an equal footing.

And some of these lady shooters are truly outstanding.

zorba said:
    Pegasus said:
    Also, Snake's analogy is wrong; I don't spend time pointing out spelling mistakes for two reasons:  1- it's pointless and I would be forever posting here because many of you have a bad writing problem, but this is a firearms forum,
    Snort!
    Spelling mistakes can be minimized by using Firefox - but it seems the whole world is in love with Chrome, so whatcha gonna do? ;)
    With that said, "loose" and "lose" drives me bat scat! And no spel chek is gonna find that.

Did you just assume my browser? 

The site here will do autocorrect when it can and highlight errors when it can't, irrespective of browser but it does not know to differentiate between boyfriend and girlfriend, nor would you want it to assume your gender or sexual orientation or lack thereof.

Pegasus said:
    Spk said:

Well, seeing as according to my wife I make mistakes all the time, I will have to confess that discovering Bellcat is a girl was the shock.  Nothing in his prior writings had indicated that, not that there's anything wrong with that.  As a long time rifle competitor, I am very used to and quite comfortable with ladies having the same marksmanship passion as I, and I'm have had my ash handed to me many times by lady shooters, though seeing their smile takes away the sting of losing.  Rifle marksmanship is truly a unique sport in which men and women (and people like Bellcat) compete on an equal footing.

And some of these lady shooters are truly outstanding.

Pretty sure he is not, but, maybe you are confused.
    https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/30888/poor-shootn-tex
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Pretty sure he is not, but, maybe you are confused.
    https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/30888/poor-shootn-tex
    Pretty sure you didn't follow the thread closely.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    Not sure it has anything to do with the holiday backing things up. Have went through 3 background checks in the last 3 weeks and the longest took 15min after it was sent off. Might be the store had connectivity issues.