Home Main Category General Firearms

New AR15 Upper Ordered

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
I ordered a DPMS "Sportical" upper, 16 inch barrel, one in 9 twist flattop. No dust cover, brass deflector or forward assist. I intend to put a red-dot on it, but also want to put some detachable sights on it for utility. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dan
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I think unless you change out stuff the gas block is the only place to mount a front sight so make sure of the height you'll need. Also no poly sight (like Magpul) for the gas block cause of the heat. As to maker, I am saving for some Troys for mine ... lots of PBJ for lunch ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,673 Senior Member
    Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) makes a good BUIS....I've run them on two of my comp guns...MAGPULs poly sights are great as well, but as NCFUBAR noted...can't mount them on the gas block..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,890 Senior Member
    I like the Matech that I have on my issued M4. Can't speak for the front sight, my BUIS front sight on my M4gery is a Yankee Hill Machine gas block that has it integral to it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Make sure to see first if the front sight has to be mounted rail height or gas block height!

Midwest industries makes good BUIS and their service is great, Troy seems to make good ones as well and my brother has a set of Brownels where the rear sight is a drum, like HK sights that is very good and very affordable.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Front sight will need to be gas block height.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • john.41john.41 Member Posts: 316 Member
    You might check out the Pro-Mag sights, rear was PM137 and the front (gas block height) was PM138. They are metal and completely serviceable for my use. They seemed a little better than other low to medium priced BUIS sets.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Thanks, I'll check them out
    Brother got this set for his 16" DPMS, which came with a gas block mount for the front sight great flip up sights with a rear drum sight and quite affordable.

080-000-525

Flip-Up Sight Set w/360° Rear Sight
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Brother got this set at Brownells, that is their brand, for his 16" DPMS, which came with a gas block mount for the front sight great flip up sights with a rear drum sight and quite affordable.

use this code for search 080-000-525

Flip-Up Sight Set w/360° Rear Sight
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 971 Senior Member
    I have that exact upper, but I have a scope mounted on it now for predator calling. It will keep 5 in an inch at 100yds with about any load, but it really shoots 50 or 55 gr V-maxes the best (handloads). I can usually keep 5 under .75" at 100 yds with with the right handload and many times 4 of the 5 will be under .5".

For a while I put some inexpensive adjustable sights on it and they fit perfect. I used a flip up front and an adjustable A2 rear from NCstar and was impressed for the price. Of course there are better ones out there, but this is what I used and I was quite happy with them:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/450886/ncstar-flip-up-front-sight-ar-15-flattop-aluminum-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/486921/ncstar-detachable-rear-sight-a2-style-ar-15-aluminum-matte
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns: