Home Main Category Clubhouse

Government shutdown

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,812 Senior Member
I wondered how many people on here are personally affected by the shutdown. My wife is supposed to be paid Monday but unless it is fixed she won't. We can survive fine for a while but at some point it will begin to hurt.                                                                                                       I am not looking for a discussion whether it is good or bad or who's fault it is. You can start your own thread for that.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #2
    I got a friend that was out of state using earned vacation time and visiting family over Christmas. When this went down, her vacation time got cancelled and she had to report back to work because her position is deemed essential. To add insult to injury, while she will be paid eventually, she has no clue when she will get paid next.

Me? No. If the mail works and the federal reserve works, the checks I have been holding my breath on will go through. I am going to need the services of the SBA in the next month or two though. Hopefully, this will not go on that long. 
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,976 Senior Member
    I see what you did there. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    I'm not affected at all, but I do hope people around here don't suffer too much.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I get a small FERS retirement for 15 years of Federal employment. I was furlogoughed while working once years ago. I guess the retirement checks may stop too.

Not all that dependeant on that with SS and Army retirement, but it sure will knock my extra disposable income fun/gun money down some.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    As a divorced man. The only effect on me is that it's one thing in the world that's not my fault.

Maybe the same can be said for married men???

😋
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    I get a small FERS retirement for 15 years of Federal employment. I was furlogoughed while working once years ago. I guess the retirement checks may stop too.

Not all that dependeant on that with SS and Army retirement, but it sure will knock my extra disposable income fun/gun money down some.
    I guess we'll find out after the first...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:

According to OPM you (we) will get your federal retirement check as you normally do...

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=735eda40-61a8-45df-b6ad-47185f4c91a5&pid=243a970d-c1a1-4405-86e8-348865c78014
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    My wife came home last night after work with a fever and aches all over. She took some medicine and her fever broke and she went to sleep. I asked her if she was going to call in sick today and found out that not only can you not take vacation in the shutdown but you can't take sick leave. I understand they don't want people to abuse sick leave but it punishes sick people. I told her to make sure she spends some time with management and breathe on them. If she can make it today she is off Sunday and Monday.
    Tell her to cough up some spittle while she's at it!!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Big Chief said:

According to OPM you (we) will get your federal retirement check as you normally do...

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=735eda40-61a8-45df-b6ad-47185f4c91a5&pid=243a970d-c1a1-4405-86e8-348865c78014
    You know why? 
    Because old retired people vote in droves. 
    So do third generation welfare recipients.

GW Bush was nearly run out of Washington for trying to get Congress to take up Social Security reform, 20 years ago. As far as I remember, that was the last time that voters almost got a chance to vote for a candidate with ideas on SS reform.

Anyway, a retiree, today, has already helped pay the bill for 50 years of SS recipients. I think of it as an investment that I was forced to make, and has now matured. Maybe you will luck out and get some of yours back.

Just don't expect to quit paying taxes, if you have to supplement your SS by being a greeter at Walmart.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Those apelike creatures in Congress don't get their pay frozen during a gov't shutdown. Fancy Nancy Pelosi is vacationing in Hawaii at an exclusive resort during the shutdown. Pay freezes are for the 'little people' dontcha know.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #13
    How is it many members of Congress become multimillionaires while in office when they weren't before?

Sure, some were already and those get even richer.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    It's my understanding/misunderstanding??? They recieve gift donations and post term job offers that include obscene amounts of money that dwarf their tax payer compensation. These donations narrowly skirt laws that border on graft. Yes/No???
    Politicians are immune to any insider knowledge laws. They can make investments based on knowledge that would put them at a financial advantage that other people don't have.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    Remember, it's only illegal if you get caught  :D

Btw, both sides do it. There's no saints in government.   :(:(
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    My one and only New Year's Resolution is to go into some really aggressive negotiations with the Universe to get that half mile diameter meteor on course to hit D.C. this year while Congress is in session. And one for Beijing, one for Iran,with a bunch of smaller ones to take out specific areas, one for Moscow, and a cluster of smaller ones, something like 500-600 the size of the one that made the meteor crater in AZ, for the Middle East in general. As Shakespeare said, "Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished."
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 336 Member
    Any ELECTED public servant should not be paid any salary.  It would be hard to be called a servant while being paid.  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    I am with DOD, so not effected this time.  However, the wife is with Interior and has been home, unsure if she will receive her pay this time.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5