Home Main Category Hunting

Bloodying a rifle...

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member

or a bow, crossbow, shotgun or whatever you use for hunting.

Is it important to you to do this?  It is for me.

Perhaps the best  part of my Montana hunt was that I bloodied my .358.  I may just put it away and never use it again, but I'll know that I've taken with it.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,467 Senior Member
    It’s important to me from a scientific perspective when using a new caliber/cartridge. 

Secondly from a new firearm with existing carrridge. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Doesn't really mean a thing to me, although every rifle I own with the exception of the 30BR has drawn blood of some sort. 

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Yep. I have a goal to bloody each one capable of taking a critter. 

Same here.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #5
    Yes. By taking an animal with a new rifle/load, it gives me confidence in both the rifle and my capability with it.

Shooting small groups at a range is a confidence builder, but not as good as drawing blood. 
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    It is important for me with my little .458.  The whole point of the rifle was for deer.  Maybe next year it will happen.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Yep. I have a goal to bloody each one capable of taking a critter. 

What he said.  

I make it a point to go over my collection and figure out if there are any weapons that haven’t had a fair shake at bagging game.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    Yup, the only "target" guns I own are my bro's AR15 and my Mini 14. Well and my Handi, but it doesn't work anymore. 

All my other rifles are HUNTING rifles,  and I try to cycle them around as much as I can.  And now im going to keep adding more states to hunt so I can use more guns haha. 

For what I currently own.... 2.5 guns down,  uh... a lot more to go. I gave one rifle the 1/2 because I've killed with it as a 300 Wby. Once it becomes a 300 H&H it'll be near the top of the must-use list. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Not important to me. I hunt to be in the field. I like taking game and eating meat, but I am not driven to succeed.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,329 Senior Member
    Not really.  Like Zee, I'm interested in the science of what the rounds do, but in my 3% success rate zone, I'm more about the process of maximizing the opportunity to make a dead deer.  That has meant switching to stainless guns, lightening the walking load, and fiddling with magnification choices.  If success means choosing one rifle over another, I don't fret over one never being fired in anger.  With Cali going totally lead-free next year, my desire to experiment with cast bullets is greatly curtailed, and thus so is my desire to fiddle with caliber choices.   
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    my goal is a deer or hog with every one every year 30-06, .30 carbine, 7.62x39, 243, 30-30, 12 gauge and .357- I'm going to miss my goal this year due to losing the past 2 months with a severely broken ankle with torn tendons and ligaments. I have 2- 8 points with the 30-06 a doe with the 12 guage and a hog with the 7.62x39. I will be back hunting this weekend and will take the 243 or 30-30. Our deer season ends Jan 1.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Oh hell, that's what I bought 'em for. Not to take up space in the safe. My problem always was I would pick out a rifle to use first in the season. I figured when I killed something with it I would move on to another. But the last few years on my lease were pretty sparse in the kill department. So I had a few that never got bloodied. I want to take game with all my rifles.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Nah.  We can't use bottleneck rifle cartridges here.  If I had to bloody every one, I'd only own 1 or 2 rifles.
    Most of my bench type rifles have shot groundhogs.  Only 1 of  the rest of them has been blooded.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Most of my guns have killed deer but not with the glass I have on them now. I guess I need to bloody my scopes now.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.