Home Main Category General Firearms

Best Lubrication for a 1911 Platform?

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a Kimber Micro 9 for my wife for Christmas.  According to my research the Micro 9's, like other 1911 platform pistols like to be run wet.  Also, due to the tight tolerances in machining by Kimber there will be a break-in period of 500-1000 rounds during which we could see malfunctions.  (Poor us, we are going to have to put a few hundred rounds downrange through it)   :D  I have seen mention of using synthetic automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant.  I would like to hear everyone's experiences and opinions on the subject.  If you recommend using the transmission fluid, is there a particular brand you like?
smilie_essen_085gif

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,979 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #2
    ATF for general lubricant. 

And TW25B-B Grease for wear points. 

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/mil-comm-weapons-grease-prod24410.aspx

Have been using this combo on every single one of my various types of make/model/design guns for years. 

Get’s me where I want to go. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,390 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #4
    What Zee said
    A bottle of ATF is like a lifetime supply if you dont lose it.  I found some smaller dropper bottles to keep on the work bench.
    The TW25 i have came in a syringe type dispenser, last a long time also 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Yeah, I think I’ve had the same ATF bottle for 7+ years. Wonder if the stuff goes bad after awhile. 😳

I use these bottles from Brownells for dispensing the ATF and other solvents. 

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/liquid-squeeze-bottles/1-oz-oiler-bottles-3-pak-sku084000127-20180-44250.aspx?rrec=true
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,684 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #6
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Tagged for future reference
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,335 Senior Member
    I use whatever I can reach. Mobile 1 synthetic, lithium grease, action wax, atomized graphite, gunslick graphite grease.

Brill Cream?
    a little dab will do ya, for men who use their heads about their hair.  JK.

Prior to the internet, one accumultes stuff. When its gone, I might try ATF.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,852 Senior Member
    I'm convinced it doesn't matter that much as long as you use something. My current recipe is miltech grease on wear points for my EDC, with the rest dry. On my range toys the wear points get a dab of grease and other metal areas get a dab of CLP. I would use motor oil, but I haven't run out of CLP yet. 

For storage, all metal surfaces get wiped off with a rag soaked in Rem Oil, regardless of if its blued steel, SS, or treated with something like Cerakote. Why chance it?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    My main purpose in asking is that because of the tight tolerances I was looking for something extra slippery.
    My main purpose in asking is that because of the tight tolerances I was looking for something extra slippery.
    Well, I’ve heard. 

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,565 Senior Member
    Gun grease on the lugs, barrel, slide rails, and slide stop, with Mobil 1 over that on the barrel and rails for carry.

Grease on the lugs and slide stop and Mobil 1 on the rails and barrel for a range session.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    +5 on the ATF. I’ve also gotten accustomed to wetting them down with Rem oil, blowing them out with compressed air and reassembling.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,440 Senior Member
    I never had a problem on my Kimber pistol.  I justed normal clp.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,307 Senior Member
    I just use Slick 50. It's already in my garage and I use it in my truck. CLP has served me well but using something thicker stays on longer.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #16
    Zee said:
    Well, I’ve heard. 

I haven't seen tight tolerances needing that in quite some time.

ATF and CLP for me.
    Michakav said:
    Zee said:
    Well, I’ve heard. 

ATF and CLP for me.
    If you're gonna go this route use the warming gel for winter time.
     :# 
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,510 Senior Member
    Never used **** fluid, but have probably used everything else at some point.  Have pretty much concluded that as long as you're reasonably diligent at cleaning away the carbon from time to time, anything that will help two pieces of metal slide against each other will serve - at least in the short term

Any good liquid gun lube will do.  For your break in, a little extra-juicy is not a bad thing, as it will help flush any grit and filings away.  While I don't have any great preference, I pretty much roll with Break Free, as it does a good job of keeping carbon caking to a minimum.

I used to use greases for pistol slide rails and locking surfaces a lot, on the theory that it stays in the rails.  Have since concluded that's actually a bit of a problem, as powder, burned and unburned just starts piling up on it, while the liquid CLPs help it work away from the moving bits of the gun.  For 1911's, I pack the mainspring, plunger tube, and mag catch springs with grease to keep moisture at bay, but now I keep it away from places where firing residue likes to go.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited December 2018 #19
    Good. The exercise will be good for him. 

😁
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,510 Senior Member
    OK. . .the auto censor is blocking out t r a n n y now?  Seriously?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    That post is funnier with the asterisks because we can fill in the blanks with all sorts of bad things. 
    :D 

Bigslug said:
    How about chicks with dicks?
    How about Dude Look Like a Lady?

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,151 Senior Member
    Mobil One synthetic oil.  You can't buy any better protection for your 1911 or any other firearm you have!  Plus what you pay for one quart gets you a couple of ounces of oil designated for firearms.  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • SmithCorona03A3SmithCorona03A3 Member Posts: 138 Member
    One vote for FP-10 (shooters choice)
    It's what we used almost exclusively on our M9s and M4s during my time with uncle sam, and what I still use on my own beretta, 1911s, and other autopistols. That and a dab of TW25 on such things as sear/hammer engagement surfaces. FP 10 has the cosistency of a light motor oil and gets good and sloppy so you gotta watch it so as not to collect too much dust & lint, but wiping off the excess after a few slide cycles is simple for wiping down the exterior of the gun. Presto
    Formerly known as SmithCorona03A3, back in the old forum days
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    Zee said:
    Well, I’ve heard. 

ATF and CLP for me.
    Believe me dude, I know where you're coming from there.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a Kimber Micro 9 for my wife for Christmas.  According to my research the Micro 9's, like other 1911 platform pistols like to be run wet.  Also, due to the tight tolerances in machining by Kimber there will be a break-in period of 500-1000 rounds during which we could see malfunctions.  (Poor us, we are going to have to put a few hundred rounds downrange through it)   :D  I have seen mention of using synthetic automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant.  I would like to hear everyone's experiences and opinions on the subject.  If you recommend using the transmission fluid, is there a particular brand you like?
    smilie_essen_085gif

If I shot more I may might worry about it more, but I don't shoot near as much as Zee. I just shoot it with a little Remoil or something with a little Teflon or equivalent in it and be done. I have yet to wear a firearm out.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I'm convinced it doesn't matter that much as long as you use something. My current recipe is miltech grease on wear points for my EDC, with the rest dry. On my range toys the wear points get a dab of grease and other metal areas get a dab of CLP. I would use motor oil, but I haven't run out of CLP yet. 

For storage, all metal surfaces get wiped off with a rag soaked in Rem Oil, regardless of if its blued steel, SS, or treated with something like Cerakote. Why chance it?
    This.  I’m still using the small tub of RIG stainless gun grease I got 40 years ago, and also use Miltech and FP10.  The one thing I don’t use on firearms is WD40; its penetrative qualities may get it into places it shouldn’t be, like loaded ammo.  
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member