Home Main Category Hunting

My son took his first deer today

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,041 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in Hunting #1
Details to follow. 70 yard shot, CZ-527 in 7.62x39 with a 125gr Sierra Game king handload through the shoulder.  Ran 30 yards and piled up. 

Very proud, and he is very happy with his first deer
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    Cool!
    You must have borrowed Zee's camera! ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    A lifetime memory!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,189 Senior Member
    That first one with the kids is always very cool, tell him 'atta boy!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    That is very awesome!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,114 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #7
    Nicely done! 
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,494 Senior Member
    Excellent news!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,273 Senior Member
    Perfecto
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Congratulations to both of you.  It's moments like these that will live with both of you forever.  Well done!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    That is awesome! Congratulations to both of you.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Congratulations!

I didn't have sons, so I didn't get to enjoy such an event till my oldest grandson was nine. It's a great experience for everybody, and his life will be the better for it.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Congrats, and nice deer. That deer is 100% bigger than the one I killed this year.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BTW, you just can't beat a Game King. They perform.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Fantastic, man!  Your life’s work has been achieved in seeing him put that buck down.  Congrats to him!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,549 Senior Member
    A very proud moment, congrats.

Sako
    Ok- finally have time for more details. 

Get out out to the blind at about 3:15 or so, and get set up.  We know that a real nice 8 pint has been showing up around 5 or so, so we settle in to wait.  The kiddo opens a bag of Goldfish crackers, and is munching away when two small “cull” bucks (one spike, one asymmetrical 4 point) come in to the feeder and are acting real spooky and sniffing the air, then run off.  Lesson learned- deer can smell Goldfish... and they don’t like it.  We close up the bag and hope that wasn’t our chance at deer for the evening.

Not much later, two doe come out of the brush and start nosing around in the grass.  The kiddo starts getting excited and sets up the rifle.  I set up my rifle to be backup when I hear him whisper “a buck is coming in!”  From his angle, he can see it, and I can’t.  His six point comes out, and he whispers “can I take this one?”
    ”If that’s the one you want, yes.”
    I’m looking at him through the scope on my Henry 45-70, and waiting.  “Are you going to shoot this one?”
    ”Yeah, but his shoulder is behind the feeder leg”
    I smile inside that he is picking his shot and has the patience to wait for the right one.
    Finally, the deer steps forward and presents a perfect broadside.  The kiddo breaks the shot, and I see the impact hit the shoulder and the buck pull up the leg and start to run.  I hate tracking deer, so I drop the hammer right before the buck makes it into the trees...
    ”click!”
    what the everloving ..... happened?  I cycle the lever, and hear the kiddo run the bolt on the CZ almost as fast as I did on the Henry’s lever (another proud papa moment- he kept on the gun, and ran the bolt like a damn champ!).  Kiddo wanted to go chase immediately, but I thought him that we wait, let him lay down and don’t scare him now or he will run to the next zip code

I find the 45-70 round on the floor of the blind.  Light strike on the primer.  Now I need to find out what the hell happened there.

After about 5 minutes, we started to track.  It was very hard to find a trail, just little tiny blood spots.  I find one good spot, and I’m looking for the next when the kiddo says “I bet he went behind that tree there”
    I did not really put any stock in that wild guess, and probably just grunted and nodded while trying to find the next little speck of blood.
    Kiddo comes running back “HE’S RIGHT THERE!!”
    The deer had run only about 30 yards total.  Piled up right behind that tree like the kiddo guessed.

Did not get any autopsy photos, but the bullet entered the shoulder and totally destroyed it.  Hit bone, the chest cavity was shredded as the bullet looked to have fragmented, heart was gone, lungs shredded, and there were two exit points.  One behind the other shoulder, one right in front.  Best guess it the bullet broke in two after hitting the bone, and the bone fragments and bullet parts shredded the heart and lungs.  I was surprised by the damage from a lower powered round like that.  

Just got back from taking the head to the taxidermist to get it European mounted.

I could not be prouder.  
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    .... and thank you everyone!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Looking back- you are right.  It probably failed for a reason.  I should have trusted the kid’s ability and shot placement.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks for the follow up dude! Reading this gave me a lift. If there's one thing that makes my day more than killing one myself is hearing about a youngster doing it. And his first deer no less!!! That is fantastic.

My son was 9 years old at the time. He'd shot a lot at the range with my 6mm and was confident shooting. But just before he shot it, he asked me, "Can I use the .270?" I thought "What the hell!" but caught my breath and said if you want to. Well I took the 6mm from him and handed him the .270. He aims and fires and I see the deer all four feet kicking in the air till it quit. He killed the doe with one shot in the neck just below the head. That boy has been doing it every since. His older brother and myself were a little slower. I was 18 and my oldest boy was 21 before we killed our first.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    Congrats for both of you- sounds like you have a good future hunting partner.
    I also shoot that caliber in the woods deer and hog hunting and have been very happy with the performance.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Looking back- you are right.  It probably failed for a reason.  I should have trusted the kid’s ability and shot placement.
    This. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #23
    Yep. Once you have drilled them till they are bored to tears, it's best to let them do it their way, so they can feel like a grown-up for a few minutes. He won't forget this, ever, and neither will you.
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 126 Member

Thats awesome bullsi!!  A great memory you and your son will always share.   The first of many happy hunting trips. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #25
    cpj said:
    Im glad your gun failed. It wasnt your deer to "finish". 
    #yepimthatasshole
    +1

In all honesty, I think you would’ve felt prett bad if you put a bullet in your son’s first deer.  Looking back in life, I don’t think he would’ve felt like it was truly his.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,137 Senior Member
    Congrats to your lad.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,273 Senior Member
    Perfecto
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.