Home Main Category General Firearms

Kimber Micro 9 Range Report

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
My wife and I took her new Kimber Micro 9 to the range for the first time today.  Based on my research, I was expecting some malfunctions while we ran enough rounds through it to break it in.  General consensus has been 500 to 1,000 rounds.  We took 300 rounds with us to give it a good start.  First impression:  it is definitely friskier in the hand than the Shield 9's we are used to, but is still easily controllable.  We actually both shot better with it than we do with our Shields...I shot significantly better.  We were taking turns, running a couple of magazines at a time each through it.  We didn't make it to 300 rounds.  After about 70 rounds my wife decided her wrist had had enough of a workout for the day.  I went through about 100 rounds before deciding to call it a day.  We did have a handful of occasions where it failed to go completely into battery, but a push with the thumb got it into battery.  Looking back, I don't think that was the fault of the pistol.  It happened twice to my wife shortly before she decided to stop.  It happened to me several times, all when my round count was approaching 100 and after we had stopped taking turns.  I think every failure to go into battery was the result of limp-wristing due to the workout our wrists got from firing 9mm rounds out of a tiny pistol.  We were firing Remington military and law enforcement training ball ammo.  I also tried a magazine of my preferred carry ammo, Remington Golden Saber 147GR hollow-points.  Based on what I had read, I did not expect the Micro 9 to like those.  To my surprise, it ate them with no problems.  Recoil was a bit livelier, but that is to be expected with 147GR vs. 115GR.  Overall I am very satisfied with it's performance on the first trip to the range.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,390 Senior Member
    Sounds like she has herself a keeper, good choice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,335 Senior Member
    Maybe get a quart of Zee's ATF and slick it up. Aint a range gun. Thirty rounds should be enough to get tired.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,339 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #4
    Those micro-size pistols all seem to be sensitive to limp-wristing....those small slides don't have a lot of mass and need a firm grip to recoils against...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Maybe get a quart of Zee's ATF and slick it up. Aint a range gun. Thirty rounds should be enough to get tired.
    Those were my thoughts exactly.  I stopped by  Walmart on the way home from the range but they were out of ATF.  There are two Walmarts in town, I will check the other one.
    Jayhawker said:
    Those micromsize pistols all seem to be sensitive to limp-wristing....those small slides don't have a lot of mass and need a firm grip to recoils against...
    At first I thought it might be the barrel heating up and expanding along with the gun getting dirty from firing it so many times.  Then I realized that the problem didn't start happening until our wrists had become sore from firing as many rounds as we did in a short time frame.  I also realized that if I concentrated more I kept a better grip despite the sore wrist and the malfunction did not happen as long as I did that.  As earlyagain said, it's no range gun.  I also find it highly unlikely that my wife will find herself having to fire upwards of 50 rounds in a self defense scenario (she doesn't carry anywhere near that much ammo anyway).  She also likes it so much that she is wearing it right now as she heads to the store.  And I mean actually wearing it instead of tucking it in her purse like she does with her Shield.  Win!  That's why I bought it for her to begin with.  Much safer if it is on her body.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,684 Senior Member
    Sounds good
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,335 Senior Member
    Hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but if you have a real concern with the pistol not cycling when not gripped "perfectly" I'd question its suitability for defensive carry. 
    I actually don't have a concern.  The handful of times it did not go completely into battery were after we had each run through a good 50 rounds and had fatigued wrists (my forearm is still sore even now).  Early on it was no issue at all.  We each tried firing one handed and my wife even had a go left handed, with no malfunctions.  Any defensive situation will be over long before wrist fatigue becomes an issue.  That little pistol is punishing for a long range session, but that would not be even noticed in a defense situation.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,339 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but if you have a real concern with the pistol not cycling when not gripped "perfectly" I'd question its suitability for defensive carry. 
    This is an issue with virtually any of the micro-size pistols... including in small 1911s....basically it boils down to shooting the thing enough so that "proper grip" is something that becomes second nature...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    JKP said:
    This is an issue with virtually any of the micro-size pistols... including in small 1911s....basically it boils down to shooting the thing enough so that "proper grip" is something that becomes second nature...
       You are correct Jay, I had the same issue with my Springfield EMP 9mm when I first got it.  I grip it firmly nowadays.  I love that EMP.

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #12
    Santa left me a Kimber Ultra 1911 in .45. Only issue so far is failure to feed the first round in a full magazine. I found it very shootable and surprisingly accurate despite its small size and short barrel. The feed ramp angle seems steeper than larger 1911's and
    somewhat rough,so after through cleaning and lube as well as some feed ramp polishing
    I"ll be going to the range today and run another 50 rounds through it and see if the feeding issues are resolved. So far I've been using FMJ ammo, if feeding issues seem resolved
    the next test is SD ammo although sense its .45, FMJ works for me, no real need for the
    latest Nuclear Tipped stuff

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Good report.

I'm surprised that you perceive the recoil to be heavier than the Shield, though. The weight difference alone should make it just the opposite, by my logic.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,390 Senior Member

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    I have had my micro carry for about a year now and still haven't put a round through it 🙄