Home Main Category Clubhouse

Favorite brand(s) of kitchen knife

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 7,051 Senior Member
For moderate to heavy work I like Mercer Cutlery. Most of their knives run $30-$40 and are waay better than the price would imply. They take a great edge and hold it for a long time.

For most everything else, I'm partial to those thin bladed, super sharp Kiwis. Usually you can find them in Oriental markets for $4-$5, depending on style. They are amazing blades and practically free. The steel is admittedly on the soft side and  overly using even a fine stone simply rolls the edge. I've found the best sharpening medium for a Kiwi is the back of another Kiwi. You can restore an edge in this manner with 4-5 strokes.

I used to really like Chicago Cutlery, but in recent years the quality of their blades has been inconsistent and pretty much luck of the draw.

Mike
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Nothing special for me. I use the ones they sell at Sam's Club-- just your basic, run of the mill commercial kitchen knives. Those, and Cold Steel makes pretty decent ones. I got those up North and the Man House.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Got a Victorinox **** B O N E R. that’s really nice, for an inexpensive knife. Got from a buddy who worked at a turkey processing plant. It stays hidden in the garage. 
    The other kitchen knives were from a Henckels set of my moms, the lower end ones. They take good edge, and as long as I’m the only one that touches them they touch up quickly. I saw my paring knife on the counter today, which means a female has found my hiding spot. Time to step up my knife hiding game. 

Yep. Always had cheapo T-fal sets because everyone beat the crap out of them. When we moved in the house in FL it was down to just one person beating on them and she was more careful since she no longer had scapegoats around.

So I got a little pricier Calphalon set at Penny's. They have the sharpening sticks in the block and stayed pretty sharp......

Just noticed on Thanksgiving that nearly all of them have the tips folded over
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    J.A. Henckels

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #5
    Daily Chef is the brand....
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    We have a set of Sabatier but mostly use Forschner for everything.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    Wife ordered a Ginsu Hakara set on Amazon for our place on the coast a few years ago. I was highly skeptical but have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the knives and their ability to hold an edge. Not the "serrated" ginsus from the commercials but actual edged knives with some quality.  
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    That said, we have some Henckels knives that continue to perform well with little maintenance. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    I don’t get fancy in the kitchen. 

Cold Steel Comercial Grade is about a high grade as I get. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    Try Kiwi. Made in Thailand. Dirt cheap, Shipping costs more than even their most expensive blade. Trust me on this one. Not steel you'd plan on passing down to the next generation, but they'll probably find it in your knife drawer when you go. And be happy. 
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,660 Senior Member
    we have a Victorinox set, not overly expensive but hold an edge.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    I invested in a set of Cutco knives over 20 years ago.    They're still pretty good.  They're super hard, can't really sharpen them, but still not bad.
    I'm about to send them back for a re tune.
    I also have some Rada knives that are scary sharp for the price.  Best cheese knife ever.
  • coolwhipcoolwhip New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    received a dalstrong shogun series 6" boning knife for xmas . this thing is amazing ! it is a beautiful work of art . I almost feel guilty using it 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    The way my wife treats kitchen knives, the daily chefs that Jerm's already mentioned.

To tell you how bad my wife is on knives... While oldest was still married to his first wife, we went up for some holiday meal. Of course wife went to the kitchen to help, and I walked by and saw her trying to cut something, ON A TILE COUNTER TOP, with a knife too small for the job.
    She asked to borrow my pocket knife (Benchmade 710 at the time). I asked why and she said to finish cutting "whatever it was" she was working on. She got mad when I said "no" and asked why I carried a pocket knife. My reply made her even madder, "In case need to cut something"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    We mostly use a thirty year old set of Chicago cutlery - not because they are great, but because they are easy to sharpen. Mrs. Bisley will dull any knife, of any quality, within three uses of it, often immediately after cutting her finger with it. Hence my love for Worksharp.

We have a nice Heinkel chef knife that cost about $40, but I have become too stubborn to sharpen it after she uses it to cut meat in a cast iron pan, or to stab a hole into a can.. I use it mostly as a decoy, to keep her from picking up the freshly sharpened Chicago. I gave up preaching about proper cutting surfaces and safety, a couple of decades ago. I do most of the cutting chores, these days. She just cuts enough to insure that the wooden block is full of dull-ass knives.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    When we moved into the new house I bought a new set of Henckel's.  The first thing my wife did was cut the dickens out of one of her fingers.  After a few expletives she said dang these are sharp.  Almost a year old and doing what they do best! 
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    bisley said:
     She just cuts enough to insure that the wooden block is full of dull-ass knives.
    Did I marry your sister-in-law or daughter?????
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    bisley said:
     She just cuts enough to insure that the wooden block is full of dull-ass knives.
    Did I marry your sister-in-law or daughter?????
    I have always admired stubborness in anybody who was not also stupid, but I have to admire a woman who still has the courage of her convictions, over 45 years. :)
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I have an old Case chromed carbon steel knife in my kitchen drawer that takes and keeps an edge like no other knife in the kitchen.  It is such an old cheap knife I sometimes feel ashamed using it.  It rusts if not taken care of and isn't even a full tang, but gets as sharp and stays sharp as anything in my kitchen.

F
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: