Home Main Category Clubhouse

WWII Tidbit

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
While watching The World At War series last night they had one segment on some German Soldiers captured by the Russians.

They didn't feed them after being captured and when they did it was greasy cabbage soup right before they paraded them through Moscow. Which gave them severe diarrhea.

As they were marched through town feces was running down their legs, the film clip showed water trucks behind them washing it away.

Not saying they didn't deserve it because Russians were considered subhumans by the Germans and many atrocities were committed against them. Neither side followed the Geneva Convention on POW treatment toward each other.

I met a German at a shooting house I used to go to while stationed there (Ulm/Neu Ulm) who was on a Panzer tank crew and was taken prisoner in the battle for Stalingrad. He was one of 100,000 sent to camps deep inside Russia, maybe Siberia. Only 5000 survived and years later were sent home.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,470 Senior Member
    The Russians were worse than the Germans (as bad as they were), but history tends to overlook that.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,301 Senior Member
    Revenge wears some ugly hats . The concept of having rules in life & death situations is madness . A war is to make someone else do what you want them to & not step out of line again . Turn it into a video game & there is no end to it except for some of the ones doing the real fighting . The scars of war last for generations .
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,236 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    The Russians were worse than the Germans (as bad as they were), but history tends to overlook that.
    I don't agree, while I agree the Russians were terrible.  After being invaded by the Nazis, whole populations being killed or starved, relentless assaults on Russian cities and killing hundreds of thousands of soldiers, the Russians were somewhat pissed.  There was little mercy shown on either side.  Stalin was guilty of purges before the war that killed millions of Russians, Mao did the same after the war. 

But worse than the Nazis?  I don't think so. Elimination (killing) of populations was ordained by the Nazi government, while the Russians were more or less acting in revenge.  Their excesses were overlooked by Stalin, but not mandated.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Ah, but the Russians killed and imprisoned FAR more than the Nazis. Granted, they had a LOT more time to do so, which was a huge contributor.

The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Well, I was keeping it in the context of WW 2.
    Gene L said:
    Well, I was keeping it in the context of WW 2.
    Ah - then that makes sense.

The Nazis killed 20 million Russians in WW 2, along with 6 million Jews (some of which were Russian.) 

Yes - largely by starvation.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Both sides were rather brutal, and unfortunately the common foot solder on both sides suffered
    the revenge that should have been suffered by their leaders!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    When the Germans opened up the Russian front, they pushed back the Russian army. The people in the area had been brutalized by the Russians for years and saw the German army as liberators, but the Germans treated them as bad or worse than the Russians and pushed East. That left a bunch of people that became their enemies to their rear. The further the Germans pushed east, the more enemies they had along their supply lines. Sort of a 'death by a thousand cuts'.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Revenge wears some ugly hats . The concept of having rules in life & death situations is madness . A war is to make someone else do what you want them to & not step out of line again . 

THIS
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    In my single years while stationed in Germany, met a nice German girl who took me to visit her uncle up in the mountains. Nice guy. Told me he was captured by the Russians, but managed to escape shortly thereafter. Trying to make it home he was captured by the English, but managed to escape them within hours. Eventually, he was captured by the Americans. He decided this was the life! And sat out the rest of the war with them. They actually made him a driver/interpreter for a Colonel just prior to the war's end. He worked in the motor pool and when the war was over, remained in that capacity for the next 30 years until he retired. Lived in a lovely little cottage up in the mountains. He tried to give me some souvenirs from the war - including some it would have been illegal for him to retain or for me to own... His wife was a good cook too. Love the German people.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain