Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hollywood gun notions

2»

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Ah yes, the famous air hose style silencer. Very popular back in the day. Especially, with the concealed coupler attachment.  B)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    My favorites are the silenced revolvers....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Like the second Dirty Harry movie, Magnum Force.  :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Just finished reading "Dr. No" today.  He has a S&W Centennial .38 sp. for most of the time.  He was issued a .32 PPK, but I don't think he used it.  He previously had a Beretta .25 which did have a silencer, which got hung up on his holster and caused Erma Krebbs (I think) to be able to stab him with a knife in her shoes. "From Russia With Love."  Ian Fleming didn't know jack about firearms, he was advised by a guy named Berthroyd (sp) who was in the book, too.  He said the Beretta was a ladies gun, advised Fleming to get a .32.  When asked what was the best holster for a handgun, Berthroyd said a Berns-Martin Triple Draw, which was a great holster but for a revolver. B-M got lots of requests for a PPK holster and finally had to put out a notice that they didn't make auto holsters.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Spk said:
    Like the second Dirty Harry movie, Magnum Force.  :D
    Hey! Don't go dis'n Clint now! Lol!
    Clint was packin' a manly gun. David Soul was using the tweeter.
     :D 

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member
    Let's not forget the 19 shot John Wayne revolver or the machine guns that never need to be reloaded.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    The one that always sticks in my head (for whatever reason) is from the TV show "Cannon".  The "hero" was played by William Conrad who was *cough cough* a "large" man who never had much trouble chasing down bad guys, so long as they didn't run past a burger joint, I suppose...

Anyhow, his weapon of choice was a .38 snubby, (unsure of make and I don't care enough to find out) and he was deadly with it, even out to stupid distances.  The particular show I'm thinking of, Cannon was trying to catch a killer who was supposed to be an army trained marksman who competed in - and won - competitions all over the world.  As Cannon closed in on his quarry, the killer fired multiple times, missing that haystack of a man by several feet each time, despite having a clear firing lane and from a raised elevation.  Cannon drew down with that stubby .38 and killed the criminal with one shot...🙄

The opening sequence of "Sharkey's Machine" where Burt Reynolds not only stops, but BLOWS THE HOOD COMPLETELY OFF of a car full of hoods trying to run him down...🙄

Seen in several movies and TV shows:

The use of a shoulder stocked pistol as a long range weapon...🙄

One asinine "western" that I can't remember the name of, where one dude carried a Taurus Judge... called himself "Shotgun Stevens" or some such... 🙄

"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member

Here's  an interesting tidbut for you about William Conrad.  At one time, "Gunsmoke" was a radio program.  William Conrad played the part of Matt Dillon.  When the networks decided to make a TV show out of it, Conrad was asked to audition for the part of Dillon.

The scene in which he auditioned was for him to be sitting in his sheriff's chair, wearing his gun and gun belt, stand up quickly, draw his gun, and fire.  Or something like that.  The only problem is that he was so fat that his gun got caught on the arm of the chair when he stood up.   As any "Gunsmoke" fan know, he did not get the part.

As for his "Cannon" role, we used to call him the Fatman and laughed at how he could chased down bad guys on foot.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Cannon must have been using the Jason Voorhees speed walking method. You never see Jason running but he's always two steps ahead?!

I liked Barnaby Jones, that shoot from the hip and almost always knock the gun out of the bad guys hand method. Pretty impressive stuff there.
     :D 

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 453 Member
    ....Cannon was trying to catch a killer who was supposed to be an army trained marksman who competed in - and won - competitions all over the world.  As Cannon closed in on his quarry, the killer fired multiple times, missing that haystack of a man by several feet each time, despite having a clear firing lane and from a raised elevation.  Cannon drew down with that stubby .38 and killed the criminal with one shot...🙄

..it seems that the "army" in which the killer got his training was the Imperial Stormtrooper Academy
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I thought it was pretty darn good when Kim Basinger loaded up what looked like Wilson magazines with WWB 230gr 45 ball and blew that slicks knee off as he crawled through the window. In the remake of The Getaway.