Home Main Category General Firearms

VA gun control

Old RonOld Ron Senior MemberPosts: 4,265 Senior Member
The VA is now asking there patients if they own a gun .
Then telling them that are elderly to sell there guns because they don't need to own one . When did they become the gun police ?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Some questions don't deserve an answer.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    He is 89 & not up on the world we are in today . I try to warn him about this kind of stuff but today he didn't listen to me & set this in motion . They are trying to tell him he has PTSD . My mom passed 2 years ago & he is bummed out about it as we all are but to call it PTSD & want him to sell his guns ?  And he wonders why I never go to the VA !

Gave em' to my sons.
    😇

If he did that then I would have PTSD & they would tell me to sell them . I plan to have a talk with him tomorrow about this stuff again . He had a FFL for 50 years a CC for 70 years & now he shouldn't have a gun .
    Rephrase;
    Giving them to my sons.
    No time table accompanies the statement.
    I just hate the idea of the old boy loosing rights that we both fought for at the end of his life . It is just wrong & the VA should know better . I plan to tell him next visit to say he took the advice & sold them at a gun show . I just hope they don't take his CC too because of it . He needs to drink a couple cups of shut the hell up when he is in public .
    I don't think they can take anything away. I was thinking a deviation from answering their questions would stop the possibility of denied service.

Telling an 89 year old veteran he can't exerscise his rights because of temporary emotional duress reeks of age discrimination or worse. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #9
    I don't think they can take anything away. I was thinking a deviation from answering their questions would stop the possibility of denied service.

Telling an 89 year old veteran he can't exerscise his rights because of temporary emotional duress reeks of age discrimination or worse. 
    More and more states passing those 'Red Flag' laws. ANYONE can report you as being a danger to yourself or others and the po-po will be there to confiscate them. You then have to prove you ARE NOT a danger to yourself or others before you can get them back and that's another lengthy and expen$$$$$$$ive process to regain your property.

Edit to add: That's assuming the po-po don't get antsy and blow you away when they show up to confiscate your firearms.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Oh man thats a big leap from do you have any guns?

Maybe check Iowa's laws?

I hope it works out. Don't seem like an old man being sad about the loss of his spouse calls for all this?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    The appropriate answer to any "Do you have any guns" question asked by any medical provider is "None of your **** business...."
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Not sure if they ever asked me about guns---------did ask about PTSD and then tried to trick me on that issue.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I am very fortunate I don't need to use VA facilities. Plenty VETS have no choice.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    They seem to be on a big PTSD kick at the VA . With the way things are I don't want to raise hell with the VA & maybe cause him more problems . The way it is going & I did hear a few years back that vets are considered high risk for insurance & to own guns . Another way to screw us on insurance & keep us from owning guns . It should be a interesting talk with dad today .
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    I am very fortunate I don't need to use VA facilities. Plenty VETS have no choice. 

Some things like hearing aides, a vet that did not have a civilian job may need to get hearing aides from the VA.

Sometime though, I now hear things I'd rather not hear.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Same here
    Several co-workers do, but they are receiving a high percentage of disability.  Watching what some have gone through because of a PTSD diagnosis tells me to stay with my private doc.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Oh yeah I agree we need to disarm all these 89 year olds. They're shooting the place up. Lets see now, the average age is some where between 30 and 40.

This is just another angle the antis use to disarm people supposedly legally.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    Although I am eligible for VA benefits I have never used them, like diver said I prefer to keep my own docs, while i have heard of some asking about guns, i have never been asked, if i was asked I dont think I would say "its none of your business " as some might take that to mean Yes. Right now i dont know how I would answer.

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Went through this with my medical provider on a questionnaire...I left the gun question blank and the poor office person called it to my attention...I took the form back and wrote "None of your business" and handed it back....she informed me they "This won't do" so I took it back and added the expletive in capital letters...at which point she surrendered...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I meant to say the average age of a mass shooter is between 30 and 40 years old. I think the oldest was the Las Vegas shooter and he was in his late 60s. Not too many 70 to 100 year old mass shooters. There's some VA Doctors practicing VooDoo BS.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Somebody needs to sue the Dr.s that ask that question for practicing psychiatry/psychology without a license.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 435 Member
    I had to change Dr.s because mine retired I left that question blank when filling out the form. When I went in to see the Dr. he asked the question again and I said that I don't like guns as he was looking at my pistol on my side
    Had a long talk with dad .
    He plans to tell them he sold his guns . ( if he remembers to say it & not get ticked )
    Any vet that is mad or depressed seems to have PTSD now . That is also turning into a scarlet letter for vets . I will never go to the VA for anything ..... no matter what . Even my local doc. asked where I got my scars & I said Chicago . They all pry way to much about things that has nothing to do with why we are there to see them . ( you can't trust any of them )
    That crap is something that needs to get straightened out. These guys need care, not persecution.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,659 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    Although I am eligible for VA benefits I have never used them, like diver said I prefer to keep my own docs, while i have heard of some asking about guns, i have never been asked, if i was asked I dont think I would say "its none of your business " as some might take that to mean Yes. Right now i dont know how I would answer.

JAY

When filling out med forms any thing I feel is not pertinent to why I am there gets answered with n/a. Have not had anything said about it.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    rberglof said:

When filling out med forms any thing I feel is not pertinent to why I am there gets answered with n/a. Have not had anything said about it.
    I do the same , sometimes I just put a question mark for the answer.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 604 Senior Member
    They started asking more firearms questions during Obama’s second term. It is a shame a,person is scared to go to the dr. because there afraid they could lose there 2nd amendment rights.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    They are doing it to the Military in a round about way also.  The program utilized to set up shipment of household goods and storage had a new section added during the Obama days.
    It used to be part of counseling that you may ship firearms, they will be listed by make, model, serial number, caliber/gauge.  After one update it had a pop up for all that information to be entered.  During a teleconference I mentioned how doing that was illegal being a federal database and all.  Was brushed off.  Later a SES from Army G4 that I served with called. She said that the addition came from the highest levels and to leave it alone.  Every Servicemember that ships firearms in their personal property is part of a database.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5