Beagle attacked by bobcat.

Virginia BoyVirginia Boy MemberPosts: 213 Member
A friend of my youngest son, was rabbit hunting the other day, when one
of his dogs was attacked by a bobcat.
He said that shortly after he released his dogs, he heard a bobcat growling,
making noise as if fighting something.
When he called in his dogs,all came except an old female ( his favorite), so he
went looking for her.
When he found her she was barely breathing, and was covered with blood.
He took her to the vet., and the vet. said that she had over a hundred puncture
wounds on the back of her neck, and her left front leg was clawed severely.
She will survive, but it will take a while for her to heal.
Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    That sucks. Dogs are like family.

Sounds like your son's friend needs to gather some buddies for some predator hunting...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    That is a shame.

At least with our run-ins with bobcats, they have always run instead of stood and fought.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Probably close to the cat's den, and she probably had new born young. it's that time of the year. Major predators like bobcats will have young earlier than the basic prey species such as rabbits/field rats, so the young predator will be big enough to go through "basic training" once the prey species young are big enough to venture out a little. A female bobcat will become very aggressive around her den during this time.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    That den reply is right on, the grey foxes will whelp here in a week or so.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    With woodsrunner's background, I know better than to disagree with him, because he's more than likely correct.

With that being the case, sounds like another "hunt" might be needed in that area :devil:

"Here kitty kitty"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I wouldn't question Woodsrunner on this either. He's the man on this forum when it comes to wildlife facts. Anyway, Bobcats can be feisty little dickens when you get em aroused.

There's an old story around these parts that some clown put a bobcat in a suitcase and set the suitcase beside the road. Then along comes a carload of people and they see the nice looking suit case on the side of the road. They pull over and one of em gets out and puts the suitcase in the car. Then the car takes off and goes about 100 yards and comes to a sudden abrupt stop and the doors open and people are piling out like it's a fire drill. Everything was hunky dori until some curious sole opened the suit case. I don't know if that's true and I suspect it might be a fabrication. But it IS funny.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BarrydBarryd Member Posts: 192 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I wouldn't question Woodsrunner on this either. He's the man on this forum when it comes to wildlife facts. Anyway, Bobcats can be feisty little dickens when you get em aroused.

There's an old story around these parts that some clown put a bobcat in a suitcase and set the suitcase beside the road. Then along comes a carload of people and they see the nice looking suit case on the side of the road. They pull over and one of em gets out and puts the suitcase in the car. Then the car takes off and goes about 100 yards and comes to a sudden abrupt stop and the doors open and people are piling out like it's a fire drill. Everything was hunky dori until some curious sole opened the suit case. I don't know if that's true and I suspect it might be a fabrication. But it IS funny.

I first heard that story about 55 years ago.
    Barry
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I think I would rather watch the guy put the bobcat in the suitcase in the first place- - - - - -I'll bet that was like playing tag with a chainsaw!
    Jerry
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,641 Senior Member
    Our wiener dog got major damage done to him 2 yrs ago on Thanksgiving ,only our lab barking got my attention to get him to help. It cost an embarassing amount to repair him. Putting his guts back where they belonged etc. Since then predator control around the house has become a pet project this time of year.The dog has since fully recovered, that breed is pretty tough apparently.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "She will survive, but it will take a while for her to heal."

That is terrible, please keep us posted.... tell Kevin we are hoping for a full recovery.....
    I hope she at least got a few bites in.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996