Home Main Category Clubhouse

Why me?

olesniperolesniper Senior MemberPosts: 3,763 Senior Member
If anything is gonna coming, totally, out of left field.......guess who will catch it.
I've been gathering what I need to build a router table, when it gets warm enough to work on it. So I ordered a safety switch from Amazon. When you have a router mounted under a table, reaching the on-off button becomes a little problematic. The safety acts as a go-between. Mount the switch on the front of the table, plug the switch into the outlet and plug the router into the switch. Lock the router switch in the "ON" position and control the power from the safety switch. The "Safety" part comes from the large paddle that rest on the off button, allowing you to easily shut the power off.
Well.......my switch came in, a couple of days ago. I picked it up at the Post Office and went about my shopping. When I got home and after I'd eaten supper, I tore open the package, intending to set up the switch. I'd bought a deep 2x4 box and a heavy 25" cord. All I needed was that switch. 
This is the switch I ordered.

This is what I got from Amazon.

Are you freaking serious? This was it........no instructions........no illustrations......zip.....nada....bupkis.
I went back to the sale page and asked people who'd purchased the switch if it came assembled. Every answer was the same, Yes.....all you have to do is wire it up..........then why did I get a bag full of parts, 16 parts, enough to make a working switch, I'm sure, if you knew how to put the damn thing together. 
Got a return label from Amazon and dropped it a UPS box, the same night.

This morning I bought a Rockler switch, that's factory wired and ready to go, from a guy on Craigslist. NIB and half of what Amazon wanted for one.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    sweet  :#
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Gotta love it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    That's good you over came instead of going to pieces. :)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #5
    Yeah...............NO! That is unacceptable. I'm thinking a really good writeup on that seller's Amazon page with that picture would be a good idea. That's way beyond unacceptable.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    I usually get what I want from Amazon, and I do a lot of shopping with them. If I do get something that's not what I want, I send it back, and generally it won't cost anything but the time.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    That sucks royal.

Maybe you got the DIY version?

I got the same from Rockler for my table saw and chop saw table.  The switch on the table saw kept on failing.  So i just put that paddle one in.  I like it much better since i can hit it with my knee when cutting some large boards.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    A couple years ago, I ordered a replacement on/off switch for our Ryobi table saw at work. Long story short, I tossed the switch and saw in our dumpster. My department head wanted to get all huffy about my action until I pointed out our maintenance guy and three degreed electrical engineers couldn't figure it out.

I guess I lost, though. We don't have a table saw anymore.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Yeah...............NO! That is unacceptable. I'm thinking a really good writeup on that seller's Amazon page with that picture would be a good idea. That's way beyond unacceptable.
    Already there. Haven't heard anything from them. I've got burnt before and posted 1 star reviews of the product or seller, Have gotten calls from a couple, wanting to know how they could make the bad review go away.
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 362 Member
    Who knew IKEA made safety switches...
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The black thing holds it all together and the red thing turns in on... 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You are the chosen one.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    You are the chosen one.
    Yes........sometimes, I do believe I am blessed.  
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The black thing holds it all together and the red thing turns in on... 
    There's the problem.  The red thing actually turns it off.  Just sayin...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member

Gila said:
    There's the problem.  The red thing actually turns it off.  Just sayin...
    Finding the erogenous zones on electric switches is just soooooooooo hard! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member

erogenous zones on electric switches
    Once you've mastered the technique, it's easy; the lights switch on

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I keep getting this error here...

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I would have just plugged in/unplugged it, but I am a redneck that way.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine