Home Main Category Clubhouse

Brazilian Rosewood

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,958 Senior Member
Met a guy today that used to supply Brazilian Rosewood to Bob Loveless and other custom knife makers, he had some that was cut in the 50s and 60s before the export ban, bought some from him for knife handles, grip caps and fore end tips, highly figured, It was not cheap.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Beautiful wood. Highly sought after because it can't be imported or even cross international boundaries.

I read they use (or did?) the leaves from the tree to make Chanel #5 perfume.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Was that the wood the feds raided a guitar maker for importing or using recently?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #4
    Big Chief said:
    Was that the wood the feds raided a guitar maker for importing or using recently?
    The guitar company was Gibson, but I don't believe that was the wood, because they didn't target other companies using the same wood.  I also believe that it's been a few years since that happened.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Yeah, from what I understand in Brazil if you get caught cutting down a Rosewood tree its a jail offence , I dont know if its used for perfume.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    Big Chief said:
    The guitar company was Gibson, but I don't believe that was the wood, because they didn't target other companies using the same wood.  I also believe that it's been a few years since that happened.
    Ebony wood from Madagascar. And a big mess from rosewood and ebony wood imported from India.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Gila said:
    Big Chief said:
    Ebony wood from Madagascar. And a big mess from rosewood and ebony wood imported from India.

Yeah, that was it, even though I don't trust much of what Mother Jones has to say.  My response was to get me a new Les Paul...  :D

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Makes for very nice gun grips also. I have several sets.
    Id like to see some pictures Jay
    The leaves are/were.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Yea.. that was Gibson.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine