Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun safe help

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,190 Senior Member
    Anything mechanical can certainly fail - but electronics will fail sooner and more often. The way I see it, 99% of electronics are applied to questions nobody asked.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #33
    Holy jingle balls!!! That sucker was HEAVY!!! Only had me and my buddy (who said it would be easy) with an appliance dolly. I can't believe he stuck around! Looking for a new house this coming year and may just sell this 1 with the house and get another delivered... :#
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,304 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #34
    Note for the future....a piano dolly is the tool of choice to move a gun safe....especially in a house...

The best few rental bucks you will ever spend
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Note for the future....a piano dolly is the tool of choice to move a gun safe....especially in a house...

Many lessons learned after my first go-round!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,439 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    Jayhawker said:

After my BIL and I moved the safe into my old house, I learned to hire movers for jobs that big.  
    That was a piano dolly before it was a safe jack...
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    My BIL used 1 1/2" PVC pipe to to move his into place. 

I saw some "slider" things in Harbor Freight today. I wonder how those would do. I've got to move mine next summer when we replace the flooring.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #39
    Michakav said:
    Jayhawker said:

After my BIL and I moved the safe into my old house, I learned to hire movers for jobs that big.  

Naw man, just call Pat. Pat is my buddy that is as strong as Arnold Swatza whatever. He used to could dead lift about 700 pounds. Don't EF with Pat. He ain't tall but he's a real fire plug. He helped me move both my present gun safes into the house using a mickey mouse dolly. With Pat, Piece of Cake!
    BTW Pat used to hunt deer with a 375 H&H Mag. Once I ask him why. He says, "Because it pisses me off to see 'em run away!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    My BIL used 1 1/2" PVC pipe to to move his into place. 

I saw some "slider" things in Harbor Freight today. I wonder how those would do. I've got to move mine next summer when we replace the flooring.

If those "slider things" that you're talking about are round discs that are gently concave that you set under a corner/leg of something heavy, they work really well. I had a heavy roll topped desk that had to go from one end of the house to the other and there was no way it could be carried down a hallway. They worked great!! The wife and I moved it by ourselves and I didn't cuss once.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    I may get some to have just in case I need them
  • Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 55 Member
    +1 on the sliders! Have used them many times over many years moving all sorts of stuff when doin wood floors and they'save your back AND floors! A friend picked up a safe recently and it came with the electronic lock. He purchased the mechanical lock to be installed additionally because of all the bad things he had heard about electronic locks even though the safe guy said they were unfounded. After using the electronic lock for a month or so, he's decided to keep it and hold onto the mechanical! Said it's extremely easy to access his guns and doesn't need to have a light on to see it! 
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 342 Member
    Does anyone what the average home fire burns at?  I have a cheap safe but it's to keep little fingers from being too curious.  I need to invest in a bigger safe I guess.  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    My son was a locksmith for 14 years and he preferred the electronic lock. He sold American Security safes and had at least three of his own.

One interesting story. I also bought a AMSAC Safe with a mechanical lock. After a few years I started having problems with the lock. AMSAC claimed to be "American Made" and had a "life time warrantee". First they didn't include the lock in their warrantee. When I removed the lock to replace it with a electronic I saw "Made in China" on the lock. I didn't receive a response from AMSAC and will never buy another for those reasons.  
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    1hogfan83 said:
    Does anyone what the average home fire burns at?  I have a cheap safe but it's to keep little fingers from being too curious.  I need to invest in a bigger safe I guess.  
    1100 - 1200 degrees...But...it varies because of the type of structure and the fire load in the structure...