Home Main Category Clubhouse

Sad case, guide who's a father of 5 killed by Grizzlies in Wyoming

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Posts: 8,639 Senior Member
    I hunted that area of Wyoming over 20 years ago, and we had grizzly tracks within 100 yards of our camp. Meat was packed out to a processor as soon as it was field dressed and quartered and NEVER brought meat back to camp!

Truly a sad story!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'm armchair quarterbacking, but maybe he should have should have shot the bear instead of tossing the handgun to the guide. I mean the guide was getting mauled badly anyway and the risk may of been worth taking.

Sad, indeed.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Guides work very long hours without much sleep during hunting season. Its easy to make mistakes under those circumstances if indeed any mistakes were made.

Maybe a couple dogs kept at camp and brought along during carcass retrieval could alert fair warning.

Prayers for his family.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 13,993 Senior Member
    Follow-up.  Seems the hunter tried to use the Glock, but didn't know ho to operate it, and released the mag when he tossed it to the guide.  Further, bear spray was used too late, the guide didn't have his sidearm on him, and the hunter didn't have his own bear spray.  Very sad. 

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/investigation-report-released-in-wyoming-grizzly-bear-attack/article_4335c5ff-7c56-5a52-bd2a-717fc3c359a3.html

I'm just here for snark.
  • Lt.Lt. Posts: 66 Member
    Sounds like a LOT of things went wrong!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #7
    I hunt in grizzly territory. I'm not sure why the guide wouldn't be packing 24/7. Bears are looking for calories in the fall, and the smell of blood is WAY to tempting to resist.  
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• SpkSpk Posts: 4,767 Senior Member
    Yup, lot of things went wrong.

It would seem complacency and over confidence may have run crossways of a non-typical bear and her large "cub".

A lot of things went sideways.

I'm sorry but when you're in bear country, comfort comes second to safety.

Feel really bad for the family 😢
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ilove22silove22s Posts: 1,521 Senior Member
    the way i see things, with more predators being re-introduced to their habitats we are going to see more of these types of events.

Not that it makes this less of an tragedy, but its how i see things. 

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    ilove22s said:
    the way i see things, with more predators being re-introduced to their habitats we are going to see more of these types of events.

Not that it makes this less of an tragedy, but its how i see things. 

This is true. While I haven't heard of anyone local attacked by (reintroduced) wolves, I've read about locals losing pets and hunting dogs to wolves in the field. Not to mention livestock lost. Grizzlies maul people a few times per year. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod