Home Main Category General Firearms

Cabinet Gun Safes - Under 1000 bucks - Suggestions?

Hey Folks!

I am interested in picking up a decent sized gun safe for a few shotguns and a couple hand guns. My budget is around $1000 and I was wondering what you folks have enjoyed?

I was reading up on a few good ones here: Gun Safes under 1000 , have any of you guys used any of these?

The only thing I don't necessarily like about these safes is that they are between 12 Guage and 14 Guage steel for the outside and doors. Now, a Fort Knox will have a solid 10 guage (and sometime double walled), but at a far greater price. 

Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,760 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,830 Senior Member
    Raise your budget, and read the articles on this website even if you don't buy from them:

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,999 Senior Member
    Go to Tractor Supply...they should have gun safes on sale soon....they sell Cannon Safes
    Be advised, you're unlikely to get a Rolls Royce on a budget...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    Our local Costco has had Cannon safes on sale at times. They have been the lowest cost of any I’ve seen. IF you have Costco in your area. 

Hawk
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,414 Senior Member
    welcome,

heres how i see things. 

- if they can see it, they can steal it.

- get bigger than you need at this time.  remember the Kevin Costner movie "field of dreams"?  If you build it they will come?..... "If you buy it, you will fill it".   you can use it for other things too.

- look at wrapping it in fireproof sheetrock. it will give you longer fire rating and if you can hid it, the better.

- if you happen to have a plasma torch on your premises, it would make short work of getting in ANY safe.  Just something to consider.

- there is a safe company in Idaho that makes some safes.  The fronts are made of hardened steel plate.  But the body is just plain (mild?) steel.  i was looking at their safes if and when i upgrade.

- you will find that all safe are made with lighter/thinner body and the front/door is a heavier gage.  

- if you get one with an electronic lock check out the guts and what will you do if the electronics go belly up.  A friend had his electronic lock go wonky and he could NOT get into the safe.  He was about to cut it open when it started to work.  

- do a search on the safe mfg that shows some guys with pry bars breaking into a safe. Its something to keep in mind when you are looking.

i got my safe from my local LGS.  it was his 1st safe for the store, but it eventually become too small.  So i got it at a good deal, but its footprint is about 24x24 inches and ~60 inches tall.  a local fab shops makes them and for what i need, its ok.

if you put your on a non ground floor, consider the weight and the structure beneath it.  will it hold it up?  what is underneath?  If you had an earthquake, do you want to be sleeping under that safe?

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,188 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #7
    No safe under $3000 will keep a thief who knows how to get into cheap safes out for more than 30 minutes. They either sledge the top welds or cut with a metal cutting wheel and open like a can of Beef-a-roni......

Might as well get a the $500 Winchester safe from Tractor Supply. If you are close to nieghbors, a thief won't like to make the noise to beat into one. Just make sure you bolt it down with the side the door that opens against a wall so they can't pry the door....

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-24-long-gun-capacity-safe-granite-electronic-lock-45-minute-fire-rating-at-1-400-deg?cm_vc=-10005

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,050 Senior Member
    Time is a thief's enemy.  Unless you spend lots of money, they will get it open. However unless you live out in the country, they will not want to spend the time and make the noise necessary.
    My buddies safe is in a closet in a back room.  I helped him bring it into the house and can honestly say it was difficult to get it in place.  Then he put the door frame back together.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,587 Senior Member
    Get a Liberty safe.  
    Look up gun safe torture, or break in tests.  Liberty is where its at. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,830 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #10
    jbohio said:
    Get a Liberty safe.  
    Look up gun safe torture, or break in tests.  Liberty is where its at. 
    Their top two models seem to be decent. The rest are made of glorified sheet metal, just like virtually all others on the market.
    Its all in steel thickness:

This is Sturdy's take on the subject, there are others out there as good, but few and far in-between: https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/how-sturdy-safes-are-built

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."