Home Main Category General Firearms

Interesting Jam-up...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,670 Senior Member
edited January 2019 in General Firearms #1
Today's range trip turned out to be "interesting"

Took the Security-Six, the Ruger Mark III, CPJ's favorite Hi-Point, and the Walther PP.
In addition, my wife took her to Charter Arms revolvers, .38 and .22.

All did well except a weird problem with the Walther. Round 44 of 50, it jammed - HARD. Wouldn't go into battery, wouldn't come out no matter how hard I pushed or pulled. Finally went and got the excellent RSO to take a look at it. He ended up hammering a brass rod down the bbl to get it undone - it turns out this was an un-fired round.

Defective somehow?

The remaining rounds subsequently fired and cycled just fine. I've never had this happen before, but the RSO told me he sees this fairly often.

Comments? Speculation? Ammo was WWB (.32 ACP). Gun had been well lubricated before I put it away - BUT - it hadn't been shot since I left California 2 years ago.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,670 Senior Member
    Just opened it up. A bit of crud on the feed ramp, and a bit on the inside of the slide by the firing pin - nothing that I would think would cause this problem. Chamber's clean...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    A tight chamber and a piece of crud only a few thousandths in size, followed by the inertia of the slide/spring ramming a round in and voila, you have a boat anchor for all intended purposes.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    What FFLshooter said...this kind of stuff happens...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Had to the same thing happen to my Walther .32, sorta. Chambered a HP round from a boutique company, known for their SD ammo and when I dropped the mag and tried to eject the cartridge it was stuck. Finally got the slide to the rear and it separated the case from the bullet and powder all in the chamber.

Only time that has ever happened with any brand of ammo or my reloads. It was new ammo and chamber was clean as a whistle. I suspect the tight chamber and that ammo being not crimped real good was the culprit.  Or maybe the bullet was seated a bit too far out and engaged the rifling????

Now I remember, that was Cor-Bon ammo and has been about 15 years ago now. They have a great reputation and I think that combination of the Walther and that lot/style of ammo just was not compatible. 

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I've not yet had a jam up of that type on a center fire autoloader. I have had a couple difficult incidents with a rimfire.

My hands joined a collection of laborers to dislodge a case head separation in a rifle once. That was a hard one.
    Thanx guys - I 'try' to keep things very clean, but obviously this slipped by me!

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Don't let the crud monster sneak up on your EDC gun.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I shoulda taken a pix of the crud on/near the feed ramp - it wasn't very much at all. *shrug* I learned something today!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #10
    Since you fired over 40 rounds before the issue, probably just powder/residue build up in a tight chamber.

FFL shooter hit the nail on the head. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I'm thinking that having a clean gun while shooting could be at least as difficult as having one's cake while eating it?????🍰
    edited January 2019 #12
    Big Chief said:
    Since you fired over 40 rounds before the issue, probably just powder/residue build up in a tight chamber.

FFL shooter hit the nail on the head. 
    I'll console myself and go with that! :D  

This was typical of how I shot with the Mark 3 .22 - as well as the Walther .32:

1-3/4" target @ 7 yds - this 10 shot group measured out at 1-1/4".

The Hi-Point did "Ok enough" once I figured out that the sight I replaced just last nite was causing it to shoot way low - but its adjustable. I only shot 21 rds in the Security Six - DA I was all over the place, SA was better - but none of it was anything I'd be willing to post here! ;)

I've got everything cleaned up now except for the rimfires, the Mark 3 and wife's Charter Arms .22 revolver - the latter of which is absolutely FILTHY like it always is after 100 rds.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Zorba what ammo are you using that your .22s are getting so dirty?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Right now its some kind of bulk pack Federal I bought back during the shortage. I've been less than impressed with it all around. I like CCI mini-mags mo' betttah!

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Did you keep the round? While the barrel is out cleaning, see if it will drop into a clean chamber. 

I once had a .45acp round that wasn't concentric.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Nope, didn't keep it. By the time the RSO got it out, it was beat to crap anyway.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    One thing that will hang up a tight chamber pistol pretty quick is that non concentric bullet that JBP-Ohio mentioned. I've had that same problem with .45ACP he mentioned with Winchester White Box hardball .45ACP. Bullet got cocked a bit sideways during seating and hung up half way in the chamber. Case had noticeable bulge in side of case where bullet base swaged it outward.

And that Federal bulk pack .22 ammo IS some nasty crud producing stuff in a semiauto pistol or rifle. Not so bad in a bolt or pump rifle, though. The poo gets cycled down the barrel in those.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:

And that Federal bulk pack .22 ammo IS some nasty crud producing stuff in a semiauto pistol or rifle. Not so bad in a bolt or pump rifle, though. The poo gets cycled down the barrel in those.
    My wife was shooting it in her Charter Arms Stainless revolver. Stained it up pretty good!

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:

My wife was shooting it in her Charter Arms Stainless revolver. Stained it up pretty good!
    Nothing a brass brush and some good powder residue cleaner won't remove. My fave powder residue remover for that is diesel fuel. Good penetrating oil for removing crud.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Yep, its clean now. Brass brush and solvent! I'll remember that about the diesel fuel, I can always get a splash of that outta the car!

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Sounds like a classic case of insufficient or nonexistent taper crimp on the case mouth to me.  You see it a lot with handloads - guys get their expanders going just fine so they can start a bullet in the case, but fail to set the crimp die to get the mouth down to within correct spec.  This gets maddening when you have a lot of variable length brass - some gets far enough into the die for a proper crimp, and some don't.

Not sure I've ever seen it on factory ammo, but you WILL see a lot of weird stuff with factory ammo when you burn lots of it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee