Home Main Category General Firearms

I mounted one of the new Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X40s

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
On my Remington 700 SPS .30-06. I bought the rifle in 2007 and had a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 mounted on it when I bought it at Academy. It's been a good combo and has killed a couple of deer and a hog or two. The Prostaff contrary to what a lot of people say is not a bad scope for that money. Cost me $160 at the time. I'm thinking of putting it on my new AR I'm having built.

This gives me two nice Remington serious deer rifles.

Nobody has responded to my other thread where I was asking your opinions on what scope to put on which rifle. I'm thinking of putting the other VX-3 on my .270 and moving the VX-2 to  my new 7x57. We shall see.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,905 Senior Member
    Should work fine snake. As to which scope for which rifle you can out them on any  I dont think there is a wrong choice.
    Put one on, go shoot it, if you like how it shoots tighten things up for a permanent mount and try the next
    Give yourself an excuse to shoot your rifles for fun.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,980 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #3
    What reticle and turrets do you have on that scope?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #4
    Duplex Reticle and regular or standard turrets. Not target or specialized turrets.

I don't like a noisy reticle. The noisiest reticle I like is a Mil Dot.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    OK I got the VX-3i mounted on my Remington 700 SPS and now going to mount the last one. I was going to mount it on the .270, but I think I'll put it on the .280 instead. I have the VX-2 4-12X40 on the .270 right now and that scope has the AO. To me the little difference in optics between the VX-2 and the VX-3i isn't enough to offset the AO and the higher power of the VX-2. After all a scope is about more than optics. The AO is nice to have and the higher magnification at 12 x  is nice. And also, a VX-2 is no slouch in the optics depertment either. It's right behind the VX-3i. And the .280 will be very nice with the VX-3i.
    I've got everything mounted but no place to shoot right now. The road into the range is a quagmire of slop. It needs to quit raining for a bout two weeks. I may buy one or two more VX-3is when my tax returnes come back. But for now I'm covered.