Home Main Category General Firearms

Next dumb question...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,846 Senior Member
Where does the ogive end and the meplat begin? Esp. on a spitzer bullet?
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Does a spitzer have a metplat????
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I think if a spitzer is placed spitzer point into a corresponding size muzzle and spun 360°. The line scribed should mark the forward edge of the ogive???

I dont know if that would also be indicative of the metplat???
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    If only there was a picture. :smile:

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,518 Senior Member
    Sir Knight, what sorcery didst thou use to conjure up yon rendering?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,000 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Meplat= Just the tip.
    I think I used to that terminology in highschool.

"You only have to touch the meplat, I swear!"
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Next dumb question.

How do you convert from Gauge to Caliber or Caliber to Gauge?

Lookin' to make my own unique Gauge, just 'cause.

:* 
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,490 Senior Member
    Number of round lead balls of the bore diameter to equal one pound.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,846 Senior Member
    So - as I expected, the meplat is basically non-existent on a spitzer. That at least makes sense.
    Now, what about a round nose? Wadcutters are kinda obvious...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,288 Senior Member
    It exists on spitzers, it's just normally smaller.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,020 Senior Member
    Spk said:

Next dumb question.

How do you convert from Gauge to Caliber or Caliber to Gauge?

Lookin' to make my own unique Gauge, just 'cause.

:* 
    Dude! Ask Dr. Google!

http://www.cherrytreefamily.com/gaugetocaliber.htm
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I opened up new tab, and in the search window I typed "Bullet Nomenclature", hit ENTER, and POOF!, a picture appeared. The magic is strong with the Internet. :)
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited February 2019 #14
    knitepoet said:
    :rage:
    undeletable draft
    Let's see if Dr. Google knows how to delete these drafts.

My solution is just fill them with non-sense and post them.

:D 

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,020 Senior Member
    I usually just post them and then delete them...are you unable to delete your own posts?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited February 2019 #16
    Nope.

I can edit but can't delete my own posts. Best I can do is leave a "."

Otherwise, I get a message saying "Body is required" in red letters.

There's no delete option on the drop down menu of the little Gear wheel either.
    😠

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,518 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I opened up new tab, and in the search window I typed "Bullet Nomenclature", hit ENTER, and POOF!, a picture appeared. The magic is strong with the Internet. :)
    Search window? You mean a way to get answers from the computer without asking people? 
    Impossible!!!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Ogive and meplat? Well, I suppose it depends on if you're a helmet or an anteater...
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Ogive and meplat? Well, I suppose it depends on if you're a helmet or an anteater...
    The meplat is still there, it's just sheathed... "ensconced", if you prefer. 

The ogive is there too.  That's what I call the negotiating process, ogive.  As in "ogive up"!🤣
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    That ogive thing is misleading iffn you don't know the code. Ogive is given in R units, as in 1R, 2R, 3R, etc. The 'R' is the radius of the curve and is the radius of the bullet diameter. 1R makes a round nose bullet, And 2R and above would be a spire point, and 3R+ is getting into the VLD bullet shapes with the long boattail shape added on, too. And the ogive comes in three flavors, tangent, secant, and hybrid. I learned this shtuff when i started 'rollin' my own' bullets when I bought my bullet making press.

If you're bored, here's a couple of articles that explain all that mumbo jumbo on bullet ogive jive.

― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,846 Senior Member
    Wow. That's pretty darn deep. I'm gonna have to noodle on that for awhile. Fascinating stuff, but not easy to understand. That's the kind of stuff I have to read, then come back to sometime later and read again - and again, etc. Gives me gas!

You need my book I got from Corbin's bullet making dies on bullet design! That would take the curl out of your naturally curly hair! :D  It's interesting stuff, though. There's more to bullets and their design than most people realize, and once you read some about it, you get an idea of what is going on with them concerning internal and external ballistics.

After I got my bullet press and dies I spent about two months reading the book and taking 'shop notes' before I cut my copper tubing to make cases. Saved on making newbie mistakes; still made a few, but I realized it before I messed up bad, like ruining a die. Made some OMG DEEP hollowpoints after seating the bullet cores and before running them through the bullet pointing die. Not accurate past 100 yards but the bullets pretty much explode on impact. :smile:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Yo Google still better than my Google. :D
    tennmike said:
    Yo Google still better than my Google. :D

Sometimes the stars just align. And words have power in a search. If you are looking for the names of the parts of something, then the word 'nomenclature' is a power word. You'll get links to schematics, and maybe even exploded drawings of the thing in question, or just a picture with the thing and arrows pointing to the parts and naming them. But if you dig in the results deep enough, you'll find the good stuff!
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:

Sometimes the stars just align. And words have power in a search. If you are looking for the names of the parts of something, then the word 'nomenclature' is a power word. You'll get links to schematics, and maybe even exploded drawings of the thing in question, or just a picture with the thing and arrows pointing to the parts and naming them. But if you dig in the results deep enough, you'll find the good stuff!
    Your Google-Fu is .................... EXTRA-ORDINARY!