Home Main Category General Firearms

Mossberg ATR question

coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior MemberPosts: 6,611 Senior Member
Found a deal at Rural King for the Mossberg 100 ATR 20" fluted bbl, .243 Win, walnut stock for $219.

I like the caliber, I LOVE the price (I'm cheap), but I have ZERO experience with Mossberg centerfire rifles.  If nothing else, I could sell it and easily cover my expenses, so I'm not worried about losing my butt... but I wonder if any of you have tried one of these, and if so, what are your thoughts?
"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
George Carlin

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I'm not familiar with that model but I have two Mossberg MVP rifles and am happy with both of them. With the one in 5.56 I wanted a long range plinker that used box magazines and I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money and it fit the bill. I put a Timney trigger in it and was going to put aftermarket bottom metal on it but the plastic is holding up better than I thought it would so I'm keeping it for now. My other one is in .308 win and is one of my favorite hunting rifles and although it has a decent trigger, I plan to install a Timney trigger in it also. Those are the only two Mossberg centerfire rifles that I have any experience with and am happy with both of them. I don't think you could go wrong with that rifle for that price.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,813 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #3
    I won the youth model ATR in .243 at a banquet, son # 2 hunts with it, it is sub MOA with 95 gr. Federal Fusions at 100 yds. with me or my son shooting it off a bench, I have never reloaded for it, if you want it, I would not hesitate.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,789 Senior Member
    I have no personal experience with the Mossberg ATR, but from what I understand they are considered a competitive choice at the price point. For $200 and change, I'd try one out too.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    The .243 is a reliable accurate and fun round in nearly ever gun I have shot or talked about with other owners.  Put a DNZ Reaper mount on it and a decent $200 scope and you will have a flat shooting 250 to 300 yard reliable gun.  I would keep it clean but not worry about the finish or stock too much.  Great field gun IMHO.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,808 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good bargain if you needed a rifle.  I bought an Axis in .243 once, didn/t care for it.  Speaking of cheap rifles.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Well, I missed out on the bantam, but they're running the same deal on that rifle in .30-'06....
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin