Home Main Category General Firearms

The Secret to Mastering the Handgun

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,122 Senior Member

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Shoot it, a lot
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,046 Senior Member
    This is an instance of Einstein getting it wrong.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Great video.

I agree with all of it.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,990 Senior Member
    Shoot it, a lot
    Hey,  you're giving away all the darkest voodoo secrets!
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

This is an instance of Einstein getting it wrong.
    What did Einstein do to you?

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,046 Senior Member

He said, or was supposed to have said, something to the effect that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results was the definition of insanity.  I thought it was the definition of practice.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited February 2019 #8
    Sounds more like an AA quote.

That would be a good definition of insanity.

Btw, Doc Brown's dog was called Einstein in Back To The Future.
     ;) 

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Shoot it, a lot
    Hey,  you're giving away all the darkest voodoo secrets!
    :D

If you have bad form or technique, no matter how much you shoot you won't reach your full potential.
     I had a coach years ago that used to say "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #10
    Wow! Great Video. It's like this guy went inside my head at the range. He read me like a book. And everything he said to counteract Reactive Interference was spot on with me. When It's been awhile since I've shot, and I'm talking any firearm, I suffer from this. I flinch and it's not all that subconscious. I can feel it when it happens. And like he said there are several things you can do to overcome it and I've done it all. If I don't deal with it, no matter how much I shoot it will still make me flinch. This is totally mental. It's anticipat-ing the Boom-Whack! And it makes me move the gun off target.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:

no matter how much I shoot it will still make me flinch. This is totally mental. It's anticipat-ing the Boom-Whack! And it makes me move the gun off target.

Use a lighter gun again and work your way up (.22's work great for this).

It's like you said, all mental. You have to train your brain not to react to the explosion going off near your face. It takes practice and that requires range time.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,321 Senior Member
    I've seen aftermarket grips, red dot sights, and various types of trigger jobs all used as a crutch to prop up poor marksmanship fundamentals.

I think this is the first time I've seen an ACTUAL crutch used in this role!  :D

Seriously though, that's a pretty good video for the most part.  I spend a lot of time helping folks learn to re-wire their brains to control that same reflex "flinch" response, and he's got some pretty decent methods of how to do that.  I think he's a little too hung up on specialized equipment like airguns or dry fire training guns with auto-resetting triggers - because who, other than a dedicated training facility will have that?  Small caliber will suffice. I DO like his method of telling folks to get on the trigger slowly and NOT take the shot if they feel themselves starting to clinch up.

Can't say I agree 100% on their statement of "pay someone else to train your family members".  There is some truth there as far as the dynamics of family attention span goes, but they do seem overly assured of the fact that the whole world has its collective head up it's collective ass.  It ain't necessarily so.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I liked the video, but do agree with Bigslug on the subject of training family members.  My daughter really enjoyed going to the range with me, and is a shooter to this day, and insisted on her husband being one as well.  My wife prefers going with me, rather than anyone else, mainly because she knows I will make sure she has a safe, productive time. My granddaughter likes to help me clean my guns after a session, and is eagerly anticipating her first time on the range. 
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,434 Senior Member
    Practice good habits, and work to get rid of the bad ones, and accuracy will improve. And practice a LOT.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    Shoot it, a lot
    Oh yes!!!!

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Practice good habits, and work to get rid of the bad ones, and accuracy will improve. And practice a LOT.
    You will find in the real world bad practices straighten out,

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,830 Senior Member
    That was a good video. I'm gonna try the "pull trigger real slow and see when/where you tense up" drill. Not sure if it will work, but I'll try it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,321 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    That was a good video. I'm gonna try the "pull trigger real slow and see when/where you tense up" drill. Not sure if it will work, but I'll try it.
    For a lot of folks, I'll break out DA revolvers in either .22 or loaded with wimpy .38's.

There are two things that will spazz you off target.  First is the anticipation issue this guy is talking about.  Second is jerking the trigger because of a perceived "need" to MAKE the gun fire at the exact instant the sights are perfectly placed on the target.  That is the only real negative I see with single action or single action-like striker fired guns - they can fool you into thinking that's a workable option.  It's not.

Shooting DAO with low recoil ammo is a good way to convince your "lizard brain" that the sights NEVER hold still over the exact "address", and that it's more about pulling the trigger in such a way that you don't force them out of the "zip code".  Once the re-wiring is done, it's usually easier to run the SA and striker guns well.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,830 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Second is jerking the trigger because of a perceived "need" to MAKE the gun fire at the exact instant the sights are perfectly placed on the target.
    That was my big "challenge", and I still find myself doing it once in a while.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."