Home Main Category General Firearms

How old is pillar bedding?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
Mausers were pillar bedded from the late 1800s. The front action bolt on a Mauser is inside a steel pillar. If you bed that into the stock it's as good as any pillar bedding around. The front action bolt is also screwed into the bottom of the recoil lug. That's as solid bedding as you're gonna get and it's been around for well over 100 years.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Will metallic chassis replace pillar bedding???

Something to keep in mind. When I cleaned the bolt of my circa 1952 model 70 Winchester it didn't actually need it. The walnut stock that received the barreled action had deteriorated and needed structural refurbishing. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I'd rather refurbish my ratty old walnut stock than hunt with a cold steel frame robot rifle.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Alot of people probly would agree. Something to keep an eye on as rifles age though.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    The metal insert that supports the rifle action inside a wood stock makes a lot of sense, really. Wood isn't the last word in 'stability'; it gives up moisture, and soaks up moisture as the humidity varies. That causes twisting and warpage that destroys accuracy over the long term.  The metal insert 'chassis', done right, is invisible unless you remove the barreled action from the stock. With the action bedded in metal and the barrel free floated, the stock can warp and twist and not really affect accuracy.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    And I realize that in a wood stock anything over one point touching is going to be a potential for accuracy problems, but for a hunting rifle a good bedding job with a truly free floating barrel is going to keep that down to a dull roar. And even having two points touching 7 or 8 inches a part (Front and Back action screws you can help it with a good pillar of epoxy around the front screw. One thing that helps here is the action itself is a larger mass than the barrel and is less apt to be moved by warping wood. However, the fly in the soup there is Vibrations are affected.