Home Main Category General Firearms

Let's Talk About the 7mm Rem Mag

2»

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Shamelessly stolen from tennmike on the Dedicated Meme thread just for you Snake! :D

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    My goat rifle...7mm Rem Mag Browning High Wall

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,025 Senior Member
    Yeah. The only Browning rifle I like. ❤️
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I hair have a 7mm rm I bought used.  It is a savage and will be the first rifle that I own that will never fire a factory load.  I have all the components I just need the time.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Where I live, anything with more power than a .308 Win. for deer is compensation for other shortcomings, the most blatant being poor shot placement. Unless hunting the power line right of ways shots aren't going to exceed 250 yards, and most shots will be under 100 yards. I've seen quite a few deer killed around here with the 7mm Rem Mag and the .338 Mag. They weren't shot at long range; more like 150 yards max. Looked like someone taped a grenade to the off side and pulled the pin. Sort of over gunned for a 150 pound live weight animal. Both those rounds do well on bigger animals, though. And the 7mm Mag does well at distance because it seems to be accurate with loads tuned to the rifle. Not common in a belted magnum.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Shamelessly stolen from tennmike on the Dedicated Meme thread just for you Snake! :D

But...But...But Olie ! I'm Scared of Flies!!! They're so Nosty...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited February 2019 #38
    That's what I have Accipiter, a pre-Accutrigger Model 110. It's bare bones. When I first scoped it out I put a Leupold VX-1 4-12X40 on it. Then I moved that scope to my then wife's new .308 M 700 ADL Synthetic and put my old K-6 Steel Tube made in El Paso Weaver on it. It shot better with that on it than the VX-1. Now I have a Redfield Revolution 4-12X40 on it and it still shoots as good or better than any rifle I have. I bought it off an auction on Gun Broker and only paid $205 for it. With the FFL Fee and shipping plus a Rifle Basix Trigger I've got about $350 in it. I look at it as a hell of a deal. Damn good rifle.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    I always wanted one for our trips to Alaska. The 7mm Remington Mag is good on large browns, but aside from that, it is too much rifle for PA whitetails. I would love to have one just to say I have one. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,954 Senior Member
    Axe said:
    I always wanted one for our trips to Alaska. The 7mm Remington Mag is good on large browns, but aside from that, it is too much rifle for PA whitetails. I would love to have one just to say I have one. 

I remember a story from10-15 years ago in which an Alaska game warden killed a huge brown bear with a 7 mag.  I think he had to shoot it about a dozen times, though.

I like the 7 mag, but I don't consider it a suitable rifle for large Alaskan brown bears.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Axe said:

I remember a story from10-15 years ago in which an Alaska game warden killed a huge brown bear with a 7 mag.  I think he had to shoot it about a dozen times, though.

I like the 7 mag, but I don't consider it a suitable rifle for large Alaskan brown bears.

I concur...While I like the 7mmRM...it's not the optimum medicine for the great bears...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Axe said:
     I would love to have one just to say I have one. 

That's kinda where I'm at. I bought a Sako AV in the late 80's to take elk hunting in New Mexico but never made the trip. I even have a Leopold 3x15x50 on it and all I've ever shot with it was coyotes. The way it blows them up, I would lose half the meat if I shot a deer with it. Hopefully an elk trip is still in my future.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,954 Senior Member
    Axe said:
     I would love to have one just to say I have one. 

That's kinda where I'm at. I bought a Sako AV in the late 80's to take elk hunting in New Mexico but never made the trip. I even have a Leopold 3x15x50 on it and all I've ever shot with it was coyotes. The way it blows them up, I would lose half the meat if I shot a deer with it. Hopefully an elk trip is still in my future.

I've shot elk, deer and antelope with mine, and never experienced much meat damage.  But, it's about bullet placement and bullet selection, in my humble opinion.

FWIW, the worst meat damage I can recall is on an antelope doe that I shot with my .243.  The bullet was a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.  Shot placement was hip and neck.  Both left huge holes.  Chalk that up to poor shooting on my part.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    My goat rifle...7mm Rem Mag Browning High Wall

Yep, you suck. Money being no object, I would have one of those. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    It's all in the bullet choice. As for factory some of the best I've used have been 140 grain Federal Fusion. They don't come apart real bad. As for handload I like the SGK 160 Grains.  But stay away from real frangible bullets like Nosler Ballistic Tips. The Nosler Partitions shouldn't tear up much meat.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,025 Senior Member
    Shot my largest muley with a 7mm Mag and 140gr Nosler BT. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    That's what I have Accipiter, a pre-Accutrigger Model 110. It's bare bones. When I first scoped it out I put a Leupold VX-1 4-12X40 on it. Then I moved that scope to my then wife's new .308 M 700 ADL Synthetic and put my old K-6 Steel Tube made in El Paso Weaver on it. It shot better with that on it than the VX-1. Now I have a Redfield Revolution 4-12X40 on it and it still shoots as good or better than any rifle I have. I bought it off an auction on Gun Broker and only paid $205 for it. With the FFL Fee and shipping plus a Rifle Basix Trigger I've got about $350 in it. I look at it as a hell of a deal. Damn good rifle.
    Mine wears a Prostaff 5 3.5-14.  I bought it on a whim, thinking it a good magnification range for a rifle meant for long distance hunting.  I can not comment yet on the glass as I have not yet shot the rifle.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    edited February 2019 #48
    I have had good luck with Nikons of all price ranges. I liked the old Buckmasters before they changed their pecking order. The newer ones seem to be entry level scopes and are not much over $100. My three Buckmasters cost over $300 each. That was 5 years back and the Buckmaster was meant to compete with the Leupold VX-2. Anyway, I like all four of my Nikons, the three Buckmasters and the one Prostaff. I actually think the Prostaff 5 took the old Buckmaster's place.
    Zee said:
    Shot my largest muley with a 7mm Mag and 140gr Nosler BT. 

That was your experience. Other's of us have had different results. However, I will say my humble experience with the Combined Technologies Silver Ballistic Tips has been pretty good. I shot a hog at about 120 or so yards with a 115 grain one in my .250 Savage and it penetrated deep into the plumbing and I lost almost no meat. The core did separate from the jacket but it held together amazingly well. I don't know if the Combined Techs are better constructed or not.
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    My mule deer 200 yards, down angle shot, one shot angel away to the base of the left lung through the heart and apex of the right lung. 
    Federal factory load pointed soft points, 134 grain. Tikka whitetail hunter, detach mag and a bushnell 3x9 scope. Oh forgot I was at like 5000 feet above sea level, rifle set for 400 yards. 
    I like the gun.
     I bought my 7  on advise from may that went to africa. Good for many of their critters too. 
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.