Home Main Category Clubhouse

This song doesn't make sense in the Chili's commercial

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
To me anyway. Run Around Sue is about a girl who goes out with other guys..........not a dedicated  loving mom who works hard and takes care of her family. How? Bringing home Chili's to-go for supper............

Stay away from Run Around Sue........and the woman and what they are trying to depict is all wrong.

Just irritating, but then again many of the songs they use in car commercials don't have anything to do with the cars they are trying to sell.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    It's a commercial for a crappy restaurant chain with equally crappy food.  Commercials are meant to attract the greatest number of people, so they generally swing for the low hanging fruit in order to "appeal" to the larger crowd.  I haven't seen the commercial in question, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're courting moms who balance careers and families, and being able to pick up food on the way home allows them to save the day, blah blah blah...

You're not the targeted demographic.  For those who are, "Runaround Sue" is just another overworked, harried mother trying to do everything and be everything... not a loose lady who steps out on her man. 

Don't over think it. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    Who watches commercials?? DVR and fast forward are your friend!!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    It's a commercial for a crappy restaurant chain with equally crappy food.  Commercials are meant to attract the greatest number of people, so they generally swing for the low hanging fruit in order to "appeal" to the larger crowd.  I haven't seen the commercial in question, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're courting moms who balance careers and families, and being able to pick up food on the way home allows them to save the day, blah blah blah...

You're not the targeted demographic.  For those who are, "Runaround Sue" is just another overworked, harried mother trying to do everything and be everything... not a loose lady who steps out on her man. 

Don't over think it. 
    I have only been in two different Chili's restaurants and both have had the worst service hands down of any restaurant chain........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,144 Senior Member
    For a long time, some cruise line was using Iggy Pop’s “Lust for Life” on a commercial. A song about having a heroin overdose.

Advertisers assume you are stupid.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member

Advertisers assume you are stupid.  
    And, in the larger sense, they would be correct. The stupidity of the American consumer never ceases to amaze me - otherwise half of the overpriced crap wouldn't sell.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #7
    jbp-ohio said:

Don't over think it. 
    I have only been in two different Chili's restaurants and both have had the worst service hands down of any restaurant chain........
    I went in one once and ordered the Awesome Blossom (their version of onion rings).  It arrived in a pool of oil, dripping more oil.  The burger I ordered with it could have come from Mickey Ds.  Nothing but yuppy fast food.  I haven't been back...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I am not much of a fan of any chain restaurant. I mean fast food... ok, it is fast food. Fast casual or anything else? I would rather see what the local mom and pop places are serving.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    I am not much of a fan of any chain restaurant. I mean fast food... ok, it is fast food. Fast casual or anything else? I would rather see what the local mom and pop places are serving.
    Went to one Friday for lunch. Excellent open faced roast beef sandwich...........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Some car company is using the Rolling Stones song "Sympathy for the Devil" in one of their car commercials. Being it's a car commercial, that is actually quite appropriate, I guess. :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Oh man, I got the restaurant wrong it was APPLEBEE'S NOT CHILI'S
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Does it actually matter???
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member

I like Chili's, especially their Cajun pasta (with chicken) and their bacon avocado club sandwich.  For the club, I always have them put the avocados on the side, because my wife likes them a whole let better than I do.

Their other stuff is ok, I guess, but I usually don't order anything but one of those two.

My problem with Chili's is that for years we lived in a place with a short selection of restaurants, and got burned out going to Chili's.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member

I forgot to respond to your initial question, Chief.

You and I are not in the demographic that this commercial is trying to reach, or so I believe.  They're aiming at a much younger crowd, who probably don't remember this song from back in the days.  Heck, I barely do.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Gila said:
    Big Chief said:
    Does it actually matter???
    No really, only if someone wanted to look up the commercial and watch it on YouTube. There one more I saw using Run Around Sue too form Applebee's. 

I forgot to respond to your initial question, Chief.

You and I are not in the demographic that this commercial is trying to reach, or so I believe.  They're aiming at a much younger crowd, who probably don't remember this song from back in the days.  Heck, I barely do.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yep, we are just getting old and know better.

No way that song should be used to show how that dedicated loving mother works, runs errands and takes care of her family.