Home Main Category General Firearms

1911 Instructions

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,904 Senior Member
edited February 2019 in General Firearms #1
A long time ago on this forum a guy called @Bigslug posted information on re assembling a 1911.  I had printed it and given it to a friend along with putting one on my bench up in the loft.  Over time it got misplaced and when I asked @Bigslug if he still had it, he did not even remember writing or posting it.  For a long time I followed it step by step after cleaning either of my 1911 pistols. Found it behind a cabinet over the weekend ant thought I would post this here. Maybe it will help someone and if not, its a nostalgic Thank You to as Sam used to call him "Big"

1.  Put the slide on your workbench upside-down with the muzzle facing toward your left.

2.  Install the barrel into the slide.

3.  Install the bushing with the "horseshoe" shaped portion facing away from you. you'll see a small lug on the bushing. This inserts through the gap that the plunger goes into.  Once the bushing is flush with the front of the slide, rotate the bushing towards  you until it stops.

4.  Install the recoil spring and it's guide from the rear of the slide as an assembled unit.

5.  Flip the barrel link forward so it's lying against the barrel.

6.  Slide the frame onto the slide until the rear of the slide is flush with the rear of the frame.

7.  Slowly rotate the pistol towards you until it is upright.  The barrel link should fall to where it aligns with the hole in the frame.

8.  Insert the slide stop lever partway. Try to take the slide off.  If it comes off, you did not capture the link.  If it does not come off, you did it right.

9.  Run the slide backwards until the disassemble notch (the rear one) is above the tail end of the slide stop lever. Rest the slide stop against the plunger and press until it seats.

10.  Run the slide back forward and put the safety on.  This will hold the slide in the forward position while you seat the recoil spring.

11.  Hook the little finger of your right hand in the trigger guard, and use the thumb of your right hand to depress the spring with the plunger on top.  Once you've got that flush with the face of the slide, you can rotate the bushing back in place.  ALL DONE

The jagged edged, oil stained copy that I attempted to scan in has much more character, if the attachment opens for you.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
1911.pdf 186.7K

Replies

• 1911LVR1911LVR New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    Needs pictures!
    US Navy Veteran * NRA and GOA Member
    =================================
    Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    When I was first learning my 1911 I found this video helpful.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    @Bigslug made this post 10 or so years ago I think.  Dont think we had video yet on here
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Bigslug finally started adding photos to his posts 2 years ago, maybe. Probably more like 1...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Bigslug finally started adding photos to his posts 2 years ago, maybe. Probably more like 1...
    It was longer ago than that when he shot his first deer....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    It was longer ago than that when he shot his first deer....
    I thought someone else posted that for him.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Quite possible, I all I remember is that Zee was quite disappointed that Bigslug was not actually a buxom blonde female with a 1911 fetish and a picture of John Browning in her living room and the ability to strip and clean a Glock with her eyes closed, ruined the movie in his head. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    I don't think there was a @Zee on the forum when Big wrote that.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,250 Senior Member
    When I wrote that, I had something along these lines as a motto:

"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a thousand words is a thousand times easier to post". 

Nowadays, it's usually more along the lines of "Banging rocks together. . .still no fire. . .Mongo not happy!"

Came up with a system eventually, but never did get that Photobucket thing to behave.  If I could buy a cell phone that was made of stone and powered by steam, I'd have one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee