Home Main Category General Firearms

Glock slide plate...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,678 Senior Member
For Glockophiles: The half-height orange "armorer's slide plate" used for trigger inspections - can the gun be shot while wearing one? I know its not intended for "normal use", but what does that really mean? Will the FP and ejector plunger come flying out or something?
Asking for a friend...
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Nope.  All the orange slide plate does is allow you to see how much engagement you're getting between the trigger bar and firing pin.  Its very purpose is to allow the parts to operate normally - just visibly - when installed.  It will have no affect on function of the gun, but it will leave the innards more exposed to whatever dust bunnies want to creep in.

Of course, this begs the question "Why would you even want to go this?"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,678 Senior Member
    Then what's up with all the dire warnings: "For inspection use ONLY"? Makes me think the guts are gonna fly outta the gun if you actually fire it with the orange plate instead of a regular, full sized one!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Maybe for the same reason that manufacturers warn against hand loaded ammo - lawyers making rules that keep them from having to earn their money by winning frivolous court cases?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Then what's up with all the dire warnings: "For inspection use ONLY"? Makes me think the guts are gonna fly outta the gun if you actually fire it with the orange plate instead of a regular, full sized one!
    Bubba puts his Armorer's Slide Plate in to show his friends how his Glock works.  Carries it like that everywhere because "it's cool."
    Bigslug's aforementioned dust bunnies get into action, and being bunnies, they reproduce and jam things up.
    Bubba gets into a jam, tries to make the Glock work, and it fails because of bunny jam.
    Bubba gets hurt and sues Glock because, "They didn't tell me I couldn't carry the gun like that!"

Or dirt gets in, jams something up, Glock goes burst-fire, Bubba gets hauled off to the federal pokey because he's made an unregistered full-auto.

Like Bisley said, it's to keep the lawsuits down.  And "For Inspection Use ONLY" means just that:  only for use in ascertaining proper function.  Whatever you assume because of that is on you. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #6
    “Bunny Jam”

I love you. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Please, I'm taken.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,869 Senior Member
    Thought I replied to this the other day, but guess I got sidetracked and didn't post it.  Oh well.  Might as well get rid of that auto saved draft....

I’ve never shot one with an inspection cover on, but it would work fine. Just be a place for dirt and crap to get into the gun. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    *** Jay and I are in the same boat. Thought I posted on here also but I guess not.***

It's kinda like driving around with the spare doughnut on your car. You can do it but why would you........... if you didn't need to?

Other than the height it's still a rear slide plate made of the same polymer/steel construction as your own factory slide plate. It still locks into position the way a regular plate does. The Striker assembly and extractor plunger assembly aren't going anywhere -- it's solid.
    Compared to OEM

On the other hand...

You're gonna attract enough dust bunnies with the factory plate installed (normal use), with a half height it's just that much worse. And if something ever broke while firing, take a guess at what could happen --- without that extra coverage!

Long story short. Your gun will still go bang and cycle but you shouldn't use it that way.  After all -- It's for inspections only.

Considering they're so easy to change out, why would you use an orange one anyway?

Why does your "friend" want to know?

Finally,

Glockophiles?  ...............   Just sounds bad!!! :#
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Only plate she's got at the moment - long story. "Regular" one on order.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    You could possibly fire it with the orange plate, but to what purpose?  I mean you could walk around wearing a skirt but to what....uh, never mind.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    zorba said:

Only plate she's got at the moment - long story. "Regular" one on order.
    Sounds like a good story ;)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

And I'm sticking to it! :D